Chapter Thirty

We would be leaving very soon. The soldiers and warriors got the boats ready. I was getting further in my second trimester making Ivar very protective and antsy. His head was filled with fantasies of being king. He definitely started to play the part, and everyone started believing him. He believed he was a god and invincible while I knew my limitations and morality.

Ivar was given thralls as a gift from his loyal followers. They saw him in the same light he did. They would do anything for him and that reflected on me. I started getting bows and had people giving me free food. I hated it.

The story of the man I killed spread like wildfire and no one dared to mess with pregnant Halfrid The Fearless. Strangers only respected me more.

The nice hut we stayed in was no longer suitable for Ivar so we spent a night in King Harald's fortress. The gifted thralls were never too far. An older one named Berit helped me sew a gown fit for a small baby.

She barely spoke and in return I said nothing. The crackling of the fire felt louder than before.

"Have you ever beared children?" I asked her out of the blue.

She perked her head up and started to flush red as she noticed I was looking into her pale eyes, something she wasnt use to, a sign of little respect.

She let out a nervous huff of air as she looked back down at her work. "Many times."

"What am I to expect?" I asked curiously. She hesitated. "I don't have a mother to ask, anything at all would be appreciated."

She put down her work and looked back up at me. "Well... you feel very uncomfortable, you won't be able to tell if you're going to give birth or if you're just uncomfortable. You'll get weak contractions and then they slowly get stronger. Your water can break at any time. There could be blood but it isn't to worry about straight away-" I cut her off.

"Have you ever delivered a baby?"

"I've helped." She stated. She was a slave, not a midwife- I forgot that she would never be anything more unless she was freed of course.

"Will you deliver my child?" I asked her. "You know more than me and you seem knowledgeable."

"If you want me to, I will." She nodded.

"But do you want to?" I repeated.

She was taken back. "I-I don't understand."

"I'm asking you if you would want to do it. You don't have to. I'm simply asking."

Her eyes were wide, she was given a choice. "Y-yes. I would very much like to help you."

I gave her a polite smile and touched my stomach. "Its a girl, you know."

"How do you know?"

"A seer. The gods want me to bear daughters."

"Congratulations." She said softly, unable to detect if I was happy or not.

"She's going to be strong, I can tell. Is being a mother magical?"

"Its like a gift from the gods. Especially when they survive into adulthood."

"Sometimes I think I can feel her moving." I blushed. I didn't know if it sounded silly. "Ivar hopes I feel her little legs kick. I know he's dying for it to be big enough for me to feel every slight movement."

Speaking of Ivar, he entered our shared chambers. He seemed tired from his busy day of being the leader. But he loved to bring it up whenever he got the chance, like a child declaring he's the eldest.

Berit seemed more tense at the sight of him. He barely glanced over. When he had his hand in the air to declare orders. "Get me some ale."

Berit got up from her seat and instantly fled the room. I gave him a stern look.

"Be kind to her." I mumbled.

"Be kind?" He scoffed at me.

"I like her." I shrugged.

He sits in the chair Berit once sat in. He set his crutches to the side and grabbed my work from my hands. I gave him an unpleased look as he pulled me into his lap.

"You won't be fighting in this battle, you have grew too much." He said softly, not wanting to pick a fight.

"I know, I understand I would be putting her life on the line. That is why I will be going to support you, but I will stay back." I sighed. He seemed extremely happy with my decision and leaned in to kiss me. It was gentle. "I just wished I could fight along your side, this will be a legendary fight."

"But there will be others you'll be apart of. I just need you both to be safe until I have a crown on my head." He said before his attention was taken away by the sight of Berit carrying a goblet filled with ale. He happily took it from her grasp. "Leave us."

"Yes Prince Ivar." She said softly.

"Goodnight Berit." I said as a farewell.

"Goodnight ma'am." She said before closing the door.

"Goodnight?" Ivar questioned.

"Yes?" I replied dryly. He rolled his eyes at me as he drank his ale. "I want her delivering our child."

He spit up his drink and looked over with shock. "A slave? You want a slave to deliver our child? No, we will have a midwife."

"I didn't know that you were the one carrying." I snarled.

He bit the inside of his cheek with anger. "We are getting a midwife." He tried to order me to obey.

"No. Berit has had children and has helped deliver. She seemed very knowledgeable."

"A midwife is too." He sighed irritably. "We are not fighting over this. This is our last moment alone until we disembark."

"We aren't having sex." I told him.

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want to. I'm tired and that bed looks really comfy. I'd like to enjoy it without you sweating on top of me."

He sucked on his teeth, but didn't protest. He couldn't do anything about it. I'm the mother of his child, what I say goes.

I did just that, I changed into my nightgown and laid down on the softest bed I've ever been on. It felt like a cloud.

Ivar soon joined me and seemed quite relaxed the moment he touched it.

"You're right. This is good... I could... fall... asleep..." His eyes closed and he was soon out like a light. I wrapped my arm around his waist and fell asleep along side him.