Chapter Five:

When the women returned I was to go back to Kattegat.

When I arrived villagers were having a funeral for someone. I was quickly ushered into the fortress to see Lagertha on the throne with her warriors near her.

"Welcome Halfrid." She said. "After you settle into your new room, you can visit your friends."

I was thrown into a slightly bigger room, even though I didn't have much to begin with.

I was guided to the boys' cabin to see Sigurd and Ubbe. Ubbe had swollen eyes and cuts on his face.

I ran over and keeled before Ubbe and looked at the abuse he induced.

"What are you doing here?" Sigurd asked curiously.

"I was told to come here... is Aslaug dead?" I asked softly.

"Yes." Sigurd replied with a sigh. I got back to my feet. I started over to give him a hug before Ubbe caught my attention.

"And possibly our father and Ivar." Ubbe added.

"What?" I asked, unable to believe his words.

"Father and Ivar may be dead."

I shook my head. "Ivar is not dead." I could feel tears stinging my eyes. "How do you know?"

Ubbe weakly stood up. "Mother dreamt it, she saw them drowned." He slowly approached me and pulled me into a hug.

"He isn't dead, Ubbe. We know Ivar... He can't die."

"He isn't a god, Halfrid. He's only a man."

I pulled away and wiped my tears. "What will happen now?"

"I kill Lagertha." Ubbe grunted.

"You mustn't try, Ubbe. Her guards are fierce, they will kill you."

"Let them try."

"Ubbe, please. I've seen these women fight. If they can do this, I imagine they can do so much more. I had no idea this would happen."

"How could you, you're no seer." Sigurd stated.

"I still had no idea this would happen. I'd never agreed if I knew her plan." I said softly.

"What are you talking about?" Ubbe asked gently.

I looked down at my hands. "My mother has sent me to Lagertha to turn me into a shield maiden."

"You?" Sigurd asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I killed a wolf with my bare hands and... and now I'm being trained. I-I didn't want this- please believe me!" I screeched.

Ubbe scoffed at me. "Did Lagertha send you here to trick us into our death?"

"I don't understand, why would I be apart of her killing scheme? Ubbe, I've known you my entire life. I wouldn't agree to anything that involved your death."

He stared at me intensely. His eyes burrowed deep under my skin, and burnt my eyes, but I continued to look at him. I wanted to know he could trust me.

"I believe you." He finally said.

"Thank you."

That night I stay with them, I cleaned up Ubbe's cut and put honey on major cuts. It'd help it heal faster.

I gave them salted wolf meat for dinner, and they instantly relax in my presence.

I sat next to the kindling fire while Ubbe, and Sigurd slept. I at least thought.