Chapter Twenty-Nine

We walked along the dark street. I allow my mother to come inside Ivar's hut, where its warm and isolated from whale blood.

She stood still in the middle of the room, scared to move.

"Have you seen father?" I asked her.

"No, I plan to make him a visit after our talk." She answered. I stood in front of her and waited for her to say something. Her strong self was crumbling. She looked down at her hands. "I'm sorry, Halfrid. I'm sorry for saying the things I did, I'm sorry for trying to control your life. I only did it because I thought I knew what was best for you... now I'm not so sure. It hurts me seeing our family broken and it hurts me to see you with a man like Ivar."

"You'll never understand." I said softly, causing her to look up. "You never wanted to hear me and you continue to not hear me. Ivar is a wicked bastard. He can be so cruel and switch off his emotions so easily... but he's also a heartbroken fool who just wants to be loved. He is good to me and loves me. He has always loved me. Father likes him and I wish you could like him too."

"He was mean to you." She stated.

"Because he loved me, he was confused and insecure. He was scared to love me, so he masked it with hatred."

Mother bit her lip. "The seer said you two would be together. I tried to stop it, but only made you pursue him more."

"Either way, he would be my husband. No matter what you did."

"Are you sure he's kind to you?" She asked worriedly.

"Yes." I grinned. She pulls me close and I instantly start crying. "I've missed you."

"I've missed you too." She croaked. "I'm so sorry for everything."

"One day we will be together again."

I missed my mother, no matter our difference, I missed her and she missed me. I only wished there was no quarrel and Ivar's mother was alive and we all were back to normal.

I'd visit everyday and Sigurd would be playing his oud, making Ivar annoyed by the repeating song. Hvitserk would be eating a full plate of food and having his mother scold his eating habits.

I would be trying to sneak away from my chores every chance I get. Calder would flirt with a slave and my mother would scold my dirty clothes. Father would wear his smile more. I miss the old days and it hurts I can't get them back.

"I hope so." She whispered.

I didn't want to let go of her, and she didn't want to let go of me, but the door squeaked open and Ivar limped in. We broke away to look over at him. I noticed a change in my mother's demeanor, she was frightened. She held my hand subconsciously tight.

Ivar had a stern stare at us. He wanted my mother to be afraid, and it made me upset. I wanted her to see him for the loving man he is, and he wasn't helping my case.

I gave him a polite smile and walked over to him and pulled his face down for me to kiss.

He seemed to loosen up and he gave me a smirk. I glanced over at my mother.

"We spoke, Ivar. Things are better." I told him softly, I hoped he'd reply in the same manner. He only looked up at my mother.

"Yes, I-I see you make my daughter happy." My mother forced from her mouth, it was hard for her to not be angry with him or to mock him.

"I do." He said dryly. I squeezed him arm and he looked down at me with an amused grin. "And she makes me very happy." I loosen my grip and he strokes my cheek with his thumb.

"What will you do when the child is born?" My mother asked roughly.

"By then I will be king." He replied slyly. "I will make sure there are plenty of slaves to help with the baby."

"And if you aren't king?" My mother asked, plainly.

Ivar's eyes burned. "There won't be an alternative result. The gods will want me to be king."

"What makes you so certain?"

"Because I am Ivar The Boneless." His words caused chills to run down my spine. They had a stern stare-off for a moment too long.

"Mother, please. Can we just get along." I spoke so gently, not wanting to sound angry, but tired.

She nodded her head. "I was told by a seer that Halfrid will give you daughters." My mother was quizzing him, trying to see if she can approve of him as my partner.

"I do not care. Our daughters will not be ordinary girls, for they come from us." He smirked down at me and I couldn't help but blush.

"Good." My mother responded. She wouldn't show it in her facial expressions, but she was pleased with that answer. "I'll leave you two for the night." I give my mom one final hug and she kisses my cheek. "Have you thought of a name for your little one?"

"No, but I'm sure we will soon." I grinned at my stomach before my mother left to accompany my father for the night.

Ivar went over to the bed and started to take off the braces from his legs. I stood around, waiting for Ivar's feelings on the matter of tonight.

"She seems to approve of me so far. When I am king, we will surely get along." He said, not looking up.

"I don't like to think about that." I admitted.

He looked up. "What? Me being king?"

"I'd rather have you be king and me stay as me. I do not want to be queen. I am not dainty enough." I sighed before sitting down.

"You will be queen." He replied roughly. "You'll be given more fame- more power."

"Will you cheat on me?" I asked him sternly. "Kings cheat on their wives all the time, will you do the same to me?"

He rolled his eyes. "I'd rather drink piss than cheat on you."

I press my lips onto his, happily. "If you do cheat on me, I'll chop your arms off."

"Understood." He grinned slyly. He seemed quite proud of my boldness.

My heart was broken the next day of the news that my mother sailed back to Kattegat, a part of me hoped she'd join our side. She cannot deny that he has a very good reason to want Lagertha dead. But they were once in the same rank and she admired her. I was split, aslaug was my love's mother and yet she hated me. But even though she hated me and put nasty thoughts of me in Ivar's head, she didn't deserve death because Lagertha was still in love with a dead man they both called their husband.

I had to be on Ivar's side though, it was where I belonged, through thick and thin.