Chapter Eighteen: Battle

Halfrid's POV

I didnt know why I kissed Ivar and I couldn't help but think about kissing him again. I tried to push the idea out of my head. I wasn't interested in being in a relationship, it only held me back on my wishes and desires.

We climbed into our boats to go down the river to a village we could use as a temporary camp.

I sharpen my sword on the journey, ignoring looks from Ivar and his brothers. Even Bjorn stared at me with curiosity. I didn't want my family to know about what I have done. I knew they'd want me to be married. I couldn't be forced to marry, my life just started.

The English villagers ran in fear as we crept closer. It didnt require any fighting for the land. They left willfully. I helped set up mobile tents.

I would share a small tent with my brother and father. My father happily drank ale that was left behind.

As I walked out of the tent, I noticed Ivar sharpening his axe with an angry expression. I hesitated, but eventually approached him cautiously.

"What's troubling your mind?" I asked him.

He looked up and his features lightly softened. "My brothers are stupid. They cant accept that I am the rightful heir to Ragnar."

"Perhaps, you all are. I know Ragnar had a special liking to you, but that doesnt mean your brothers aren't as privileged as you. You boys are stronger as one." I stated gently.

He scoffed bitterly. "Father took me to England. Not them."

I knew I wouldn't be able to change his mind so I just nodded my head and dropped the discussion.

"D-did you tell anyone about what happened?" I asked nervously. "B-between us I mean."

"No," He responded flatly. "What? Embarrassed to kiss a cripple?"

I put my hands on my hips. "Ivar dont pull that card. You know that's not what I meant. If others find out, my mother will surely force me to marry. I am not ready to marry."

"Dont worry, your secret is safe." He replied. He went back to his work.

I knelt down in front of him and put a hand on his arm to get him to look up at me.

His blue eyes took my breath away and my heart started to flutter. I could feel my cheeks burn as I looked away.

He lifted my chin and kissed my cheek softly. I gave him a small smile.

"We both have to keep a clear head. Right?" I asked.

"We have time for a little fun." He replied flirtatiously.

I rolled my eyes at him and got back to my feet. "We'll be leaving soon for Wessex. I think I should rest, we have a busy road ahead of us."

I didnt hesitate to fall into my fur bed. I easily drifted off to sleep. I was hoping to sleep forever, but I was awoken by a sharp poke to my side. I opened my eyes to see Ivar playfully poking me with a stick.

I hit it away and tried to turn around, but he continued to poke my back.

"Stop it." I growled.

"You need to get up and eat something. You'll need your strength." He stated.

I grunted and got to my feet. I was defeated into eating a meal. It was morning time and the sky was still very gray and the air was cool.

The wind bit at my face as I joined a table of food. I was very excited to go into another battle, a more exciting one. I was able to prove myself once again.