Chapter Fourty-Four

Freydis's POV

Ivar was lonely, I could tell. I knew he finally understood Halfrid was no longer his. I took that to my advantage.

I went to see Ivar during the times he was most alone. At night.

I was allowed to enter his chambers as the guards knew me well. Ivar seemed surprised to see my presence.

"Freydis, what are you doing here?" He asked, he was sitting at the edge of his bed, not yet dressed for the night.

"I-I wanted to see you." I sat down beside him. "She seems happy."

Ivar scoffed and nodded his head. "Maybe she is, but I know she still loves me."

"Ivar, you deserve a girl who loves you unconditionally." I replied, grabbing his calloused hand. "Halfrid... I've seen her, she isn't this ideal girl everyone thinks she is."

Ivar rolled his eyes and ripped his hand free from my grasp. "You don't know anything about Halfrid."

I was starting to fall desperate. "She disappeared often with Hvitserk. I've seen him guide her out of the eyes of the public." I knew they didn't do anything. They couldn't have from their short interactions, but he didnt need to know that. All we know they could of kissed, or conspired against him.

I could tell he was getting upset with me. "She never cheated on me." Ivar growled. "If anything, I cheated on her- with you." He pointed at me furiously. "The gods are punishing me for cheating on the woman I was destined for."

"Perhaps you weren't destined for her, she was only a person you meet along your journey to someone else." I suggested. He seemed confused for a moment. "Ivar, I love you."

He was taken back and seemed surprised. "Love me?" He questioned.

"I've done nothing but support you. You should love me back. I see you as the god you are. Halfrid never did." I reached for him but he refused to let me touch him. My heart began to break. "How can you love her? She isn't one of us. She's from another world. Why don't you want to be with your own kind? You said I reminded you of Freya, so how could you not choose me?"

He stood up on his crutches. "I think you need to go." I felt like I was hit in the gut. "I'm afraid, I do not love you. I'm sorry I gave you the impression that I did. As for Halfrid, don't you ever disrespect her again."

Tears started to prick my eyes. I stood up and left but I couldn't focus on anything other than his words echoing in my head. Ivar never loved me. I should have known but he made me feel special.

He made me feel like the only one in the world. But now I see that I was an object he could project on. What ever he longed to do to Halfrid, I received. When he was angry at her, I was a way he could blow off steam.

I never mattered and that shattered me.

Halfrid's POV

I finished feeding Thora cooked veggies. She was a happy girl and was ready to rest her little belly.

I put her in her cradle for her afternoon nap. It was perfect for me to have a chance to catch my breath and clean up the messes she made and I could try and take care of myself.

There was a soft knock on the door as I was doing the dishes. I was quick to answer, but was surprised to see Freydis with her hood held tight to her face.

"Freydis." I greeted, in utter disbelief.

"May I come in?" She asked, unable to look me directly in the eye.