Chapter Thirty-Seven

Ivar had to go boast to his guests, but I knew there wouldn't be so much happiness at the thought of a daughter. But he agreed it was okay, then again that was before he was king and needed a son to be his heir and I cannot give him sons.

Hvitserk's grin slipped from his face. "He sacrificed an innocent woman. He lied to the people and said it was Lagertha."

My mother and father glanced at each other, scared of my reaction.

I let out a dry giggle, trying to fight the tears but it doesn't work. "What can I say? I have no words for his level of cruelty."

My mother rubbed my shoulder. "The seer says darkness is all he can see. We are going into dark times. I am frightened what Ivar will bring."

"I am too." I admitted. "I worry I was destined with the wrong prince."

I felt Hvitserk's eyes upon me but none of us say a word. We are brought back into reality as Thora hiccups.

"She will need to be burped after every meal." Mother told me. "And make sure you have a towel because there will be vomit."

I nodded my head and thanked a slave as she handed me a small towel. The room slowly emptied and I went back to my chambers where a cute little cradle laid beside the bed.

I was greatly sore and will be for a little while. My mother gave me some tips that I surely needed.

The first two weeks was eye opening. Thora kept me up at all hours of the night. Ivar insisted we get a wet nurse but I couldn't allow that. Thora was my child, I will be taking care of her.

"She's so beautiful." Ivar said smiling wide as she wrapped her hand around his finger as she was feeding. He liked seeing her kick her tiny feet at him.

"Dont let it go to her tiny head." I joked.

"Hvitserk has been visiting you." Ivar stated plainly.

"Freydis has been visiting you." I replied coldly.

He rolled his eyes and started to kiss my cheek. "I love you. You know that."

"If you say so." I mumbled. Thora unlatched and I looked over at Ivar with a smirk.

He put a blanket over his shoulder and grabbed Thora and burped her.

"She better not throw up again." He groaned.

"You know she will." I grinned.

"Lord Ivar!" We heard guards shout.

Ivar and I locked eyes and he handed Thora back to me. "Papa has some business to attend to." He tells our daughter. He plants a kiss on my lips before limping out the door.

He promised me he'd be more merciful. He promised because he knew I was not happy. I wanted no part in his dark path. I don't care what the seer or the gods say, I cannot side with an evil man.

I needed him to be a good king and father for our daughter. I cannot deal with his childish behavior. We are parents now.

I continued to burp Thora until she let out a burp along with milk spilling from her mouth.

I wipe her tiny face. She looked more like a baby and less like an old man. Her skin was so soft and her chubby cheeks were so adorable. I couldn't stop kissing her squishy cheeks. She'd smile happily with a peck on her cheek. She loved to be held and hearing people talk. I'd tell her stories of the gods and parts of sagas that I still remembered.

She was a good baby when she wasn't howling at night for milk or to be changed or just to be held.

Ivar was kind enough to hold her for me so I could rest. I'd fall asleep sitting up as I breast fed, it was his job to make sure she was propped up properly to drink.