Chapter Sixteen:

I stood along the crowd. The sky was pitch black, the only light we had was from the lit torches. I stood behind Ivar. He was giddy with excitement.

There was a platform where two posts stood tall with rope. I felt sick. I didn't like sacrifices, I never did. I knew it would help us, but it was just cruel.

Two men, one in a white tunic. I knew he was the one dying tonight.

The drums pound and the rattles rattle, the music made everything more eery.

"Brother! I envy you! Tonight you will die and feast with the gods. You will see Odin and Thor face to face." The brother tells him.

"Thank you, my brother." The sacrifice victim said putting a hand on his shoulder. The two men hug and it made me even more sad to watch.

The victim walks upon the platform and wraps his knuckles around the pieces of rope. He looked like strung up meat.

Lagertha approache him and a servant gives her a sharp curved sword. Her eyes go to the sky and the rest of us follow.

Something white flies by in the sky. Everyone gasps and assumes it's the gods.

"So, Earl Jorgensen, are you ready to sacrifice your life to appease and honor the gods?" Lagertha asked the man.

"I am not afraid." The man said.

"The gods are ready." She replied.

She stabs into his chest. He lets go of the rope and pulls her closer to dig the sword deeper within him. I covered my eyes on Ivar's shoulder.

"This is awful." I cried.

"If you can't handle this, you can't handle the battle." Ivar replied dryly.

I looked up at him. "Killing an innocent man is different than killing at battle."

He didn't have a snarky reply, so he looked away and pushed me away.

The next day we were ready to leave. I grab my bags and go down to the harbor with my family. My mother was pale and her eyes were red.

She looks over all of us. She kisses our father goodbye. "Protect them."

"I will, my love." Father replied.

Mother moves on to Calder. She pulls him into a tight hug. "Don't show any mercy."

"Of course not." He chuckled as if that was a silly demand.

She then stood before me. I was shocked when she pulled me into a tight hug. She started to cry. "You are Halfrid The Fearless. Show no fear, show no emotion but anger. Anger will make you dangerous and unpredictable." She pulled away and straightened me up. "Don't let anyone treat you with no respect. Make them kiss your foot."

"Yes, mother." I replied. I tried my best to stay strong.

Leaving was the strangest thing, I watched as my home grew small. I knew nothing else at all.

I was one of the handful of women that joined. Meaning I had to act tough, all the time.

I stood by the side of the ship and watched the waves, I felt my heart beat rapidly at the thought of England.

During the voyage I experienced some men mumbling amongst themselves while glancing at me. I felt my face burn with anger.

Once we landed in England, I excitedly touched down on their soil. It was so similar to our home, yet so different.

The hundreds of warriors joined on the ground. There were large camps being set up. Men went to ransack homes.

Ubbe quickly looked over at me and suggested I go collect sticks for a fire. My father was near by so I didn't protest.