Chapter Forty-two

If Ivar remembered our conversation, he didn't show it. I assumed he didn't, but I could never be sure with him anymore. He did seem like he knew that we didn't get along last night.

I watch as Thora plays in her playpen. She shakes her wooden axe at her cloth dolls that me and my mother created for her. Ivar added some bells to her axe so she could have more fun shaking it around.

I thought maybe if I could remind Ivar to have fun and that being kind is better than being feared that maybe the old him could come back to me. A foolish thought, but I just missed my husband so much. Being king was the worst thing to happen to him.

"She looks so much like you." I heard a voice say behind me. I turned around to see Alvid approaching me.

"I think so too." I agreed. He knelt beside me and waved at my daughter. She happily waved back.

"Dada." Thora said sweetly.

"No, that's not dada. You know that." I told her in my baby voice.

"I do look a little similar to him." Alvid shrugged.

"Just the eyes." I replied honestly.

He rested his hand on my thigh, I didn't like that one bit. He rubbed his thumb against the cloth of my dress. I was frozen in disbelief that he had the balls to touch me in such a manner. I am his queen, I could get him beaten for his intentions.

"I can't help but think about you, naked and below me." He admitted.

My mouth nearly dropped to the floor. "Did you forget who you are speaking to or shall I remind you?"

He let out a chuckle. "I'd like it if you reminded me." He started to lean in and I tried to back away.

"What are you doing here?" Ivar asked Alvid, stopping him from trying to make any more moves. He knew he was attractive and he hoped I'd fall for only that. But I didn't care what his face looked like, I wasn't swooned, I was infuriated by his actions.

"I just wanted to tell you that I am sorry about what has happened, it is a disgrace and not who we are in Kattegat." Alvid said charmingly as he stood up to greet my husband.

Ivar glanced at me and I hoped he could read the displeased look on my face. I nodded my head towards the door, a signal for him to kick Alvid out.

"Yes, now if you excuse me, I must update my wife." Ivar said limping my way.

"Of course, have a nice rest of your day." Alvid winked at me and left.

"I thought we agreed he'd stay away from me." I growled.

"It slipped my mind, what did he do?" Ivar asked.

"He tried to kiss me and he caressed my thigh. He was trying to flirt with me. He makes me uncomfortable."

Ivar nodded his head. "Then I'll definitely keep him away from you. We don't need him thinking he can get away with the way he treated you."

"What did you need to update me on, I assume it was something to do with what he was referencing." I said changing the subject.

"Yes, Halfrid. Someone destroyed my statue. I believe we are dealing with a threat to my life and possibly our family's." Ivar stated calmly. "I'm going to do all I can to find the ones responsible."

"Ivar, I told you before how I feel on a matter like this. You should be okay with disagreements but not death threats. You need to be more open to opinions but handle the ones who actually wish you dead. Don't make this a witch hunt. That's all I ask of you."