Chapter Thirty-Three

I stood in front of the man I love most in a beautifully done dress. My stomach made the the dress stretching at the seams. I didn't think I'd be able to take it off.

On the beach is where we loved to sit and talk and now it became the place where we would be married.

I looked over to see my mother and father smiling. Calder was with his girlfriend Gna and she gave me a warm smile. I allowed Hvitserk to bring Margrethe even though Ivar was highly against it. It made his brother happy so it made me happy.

My hands were sweating and trembling in Ivar's. His braces made him stand tall. The ground was hard from the frozen climates, I hoped my child would be born in spring, but the weather seemed to fight me as my due date approached. A few months and I'd be a mother. It was a scary thought.

The priestess had a large bowl of blood. I could barely hear her words over the drumming of my heart.

I felt blood being plattered on my face and then on Ivar's.

"Allfather, we ask your presence here at this wedding." The priestess called. "Mighty Thor, come.  We depend on you day to day. Freya, we ask that you, as the Goddess of Love, will 
cause this couple to love one another for a lifetime. That their love will be strong to endure all the ups and downs life can throw at them. We ask that you will help to increase their love in time and should children come that their love will encompass every one that comes. May Halfrid be a good mother and Ivar be a good father. AllFather, we ask your blessing on Halfrid and Ivar. Guide them with the wisdom they will need.  Guide them with your inspiration, with the runes, with whatever means you put before them. Give them the courage they need to do their tasks. If the rain and thunder inspire them, Thor, we ask that you will be present with that.  Keep their land green, but not soggy, healthful 
and productive. Protect their home from the dangers of the lightning. Watch over them in the winds. Odin, Thor, Freya, we are so glad you are here. So may it be." My ring was dipped in the blood and Ivar shakily slipped it onto my finger. Thunder rolled in the distance as he did so. We shared a grin. "You may kiss the bride."

Ivar grabbed my face with this blood soaked fingers and pressed his lips onto mine. The crowd cheered loudly. I was surprised by the eruption.

Ivar pulled away and smiled big. I couldn't help but blush as he leaned down and kissed my stomach.

"Time for the bridal race!" The priestess hollered.

Because Ivar could not do it, we came to the compromise to have my brother take his place and race my father.

We cheered as they ran the course, pulling at each other, trying to get at the end. Even though my father tried hard, Calder won in the end, causing a loud cheer to erupt again.

In the hall, we have a large stretch of people drinking and eating while my father served us honey mead.

It was funny, watching a strong burly man serve us, when he could easily snap all of us like a twig.

Ivar wrapped his arm around me and happily told embarrassing stories about me to the crowd. For once, I saw my mother laugh. Calder had a wide smile on his face as the hatred ceased, even if it was just for now.

Ivar didn't seem bothered by the lacking of his family. He had one of his older brother to tease him. Ivar didn't get angry, he laughed and shook his finger threateningly.

I could of sat there all night, doing nothing but being with friends and family. Of course it grew late and it was time for the final stage of the night.

We were led into a hut with candles scattered around the room. The door shut on us and I could hear laughter fade away.

"Dont scream too much!" I heard Hvitserk shout from the other side.