Chapter 23

I jump when I feel a hand on my shoulder. "You're not blaming yourself, huh munchkin?" I look over my shoulder and see Poppa. "I do, Poppa. I made him leave. If I would've just said yes to seeing his shop, he would still be here." I tell him. "Munchkin, no one blames you for that. It was no ones fault. Maybe it was his time." Poppa replies. I shake my head and choke on a sob. Poppa turns me around and pulls me into his arms. I grip his arms as I break down, wishing I could have my twin brother back. 

Poppa rubs my back as I continue to cry in his arms. "Munchkin, you have to understand that it's no ones fault. I know it wasn't and so does your mother. You know how supportive he's been to us. Yes I understand that you said no to seeing his shop, but maybe he wanted you to be supportive for it. That's all he probably wanted that day." Poppa tells me. I shake my head as I move myself closer to Poppa. "Poppa, why did I say no? Why couldn't I have just gone without any argument?" I cry out as I grip his arms more. "I'm not sure munchkin but remember, you two always did support one another. Maybe you just didn't want to support him that one time." Poppa replies. I sniff as I look at Poppa. "What happened if I was just tired of being around him? What happened if the reason he died was because of me not wanting to be around him?" I say. "We'll never know, munchkin. But for now, all we have to do is remember how happy we are and how happy we will be when all we think about are the fun times." Poppa replies.

I nod as I hear Momma knock on the door. "Everything okay up here?" Momma asks us. Poppa looks at her and nods. "Yeah, nothing I couldn't handle. She was blaming herself again for her twin's death." Poppa tells her. She shakes her head, smiling a bit as she walks over to us. Momma always understood how close Poppa and I were. Not as close as Marcus and I were but still close. Momma always stood back and let him take care of it. "Well, I made some freshly homemade pancakes and French Toast. Do you guys want some?" She asks us. "I sure do, honey." Poppa replies. "I'll take some. Just let me change and text Carlisle that I'm up and okay." I add. She nods as Poppa lets go of the hug. They walk out of my room and Poppa closes the door behind them. I turn around, facing the closet again and change.

I fix my snapback and fix my laces. I walk to my bed and grab my phone. I unlock my phone and text Carlisle.

To Carlisle: Hey Carlisle. Been up for a while but had to deal with something when I wanted to text you. But everything is good now. Just wanted to let you know I'm okay. I'll be back soon.

I press send and put my phone in my pocket as I walk out. I close my door and walk down the stairs. I walk down the stairs fully and to to the kitchen. I walk to the kitchen and smile at the sight. Poppa with his arms around Momma as she's making plates for us at the island. We have one in the middle versus the front of the kitchen. He whispers something in her ear, making her blush and laugh. I remember that laugh. She used to do it when Marcus was around. I thought she lost that laugh but it seems like she didn't. I walk into the kitchen more, making them look up at me. I sit on the chair at the island and Momma hands me a plate. I smile at her as Poppa hands me the syrup. I take the syrup and pour the syrup all over my food. I put the syrup down and grab my fork. I cut a piece of French Toast and take a bite, moaning happily. "Oh goddess. I missed your food, Momma." I say as I take another bite.

Momma giggles and smiles as Poppa kisses her cheek. I smile at then as I take a bite of the pancake. I groan as I continue to shovel the food in my mouth. "Did you eat anything at all, darling?" Momma asks me. "No, I was supposed to but his adopted daughter, Rosalie, started an argument before I could." I tell her as I continue to eat. Momma nods as I hear my phone ringing. I swallow the food and take my phone out. I look at the screen and see Alice calling me. I answer it and put it to my ear. "Hello?" I say. "Hey Melissa. It's Alice." She replies. "What's up?" I say as I take another bite of the food. "Edward told me that you might come home in a few hours. I needed to hear from you if you were or not." She replies. "I was planning on it but I figured that I'd wait until tomorrow. Maybe leave here around noon and go to my second home." I tell her, making my parents looking at me.

I hear her sigh, making me furrow my eyebrows. "Everything okay Alice?" I ask her. "No, my vision changed before I called. You came home while your parents were sleeping and snuck into the house while everyone was busy in their rooms. Although Carlisle was happy to see you." She replies. "That sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the idea, Alice." I say, hearing her giggle. "Please don't do it. I don't want another fight between you and Rosalie." Alice replies. "Okay, how about this. I leave here as early as I can and run down there." I tell her. "Do you think you would make it for work?" Alice replies. "I may be a few minutes late." I say. "Alright, I'll tell Edward. He's been dying for you to call or something." She replies. "Tell him I called and said Hi." I tell her. "Will do. See you tomorrow." She replies. I chuckle as I hang up.

I put my phone on the table and look at my parents. "So when are you waking up? Maybe I can drive you to work." Poppa asks me. "I was thinking of waking up at 5 in the morning. Leave here right after." I tell him. He nods and unwraps his arms from Momma. He walks over to me and hugs me. I close my eyes and hug him back.

Little did I know about Edward already knowing about my return and calming down a stressed out Carlisle.