Chapter 32

Melissa stops thrashing before looking back at me. I knew I hit a spot. "Why did you come here, Melissa? Was it to see if there were other shifters like you? Or to manipulate us vampires to be your pawn? Tell me, Melissa." I ask her as I put my hands behind my back. Melissa looks away before closing her eyes. Why did she close her eyes? What is she hiding? "I came to Forks because Sam had suggested it. Since Sam is my childhood friend and knows the reason why I needed to leave, he suggested coming here and staying in the house in the woods near you and your clan. I wasn't trying to find my mate. But when I met Carlisle at work, I knew he was my mate. I couldn't help myself. His scent was intoxicating." Melissa explains to me. I furrowed my eyebrows, wondering what she means. "Alice, she's telling the truth. She came here to get away from a passing that happened a few months back. Sam Uley from La Push suggested coming here to Forks since Forks is a quiet place for her." I hear Edward said. I look over my shoulder, watching Edward walking over to us. "What are you talking about? How do you know about it?" I ask him. "Because I was in the woods when she was talking to Sam and Jacob at the treaty line. I can understand them in their mind links most of the time so she wasn't lying when she said she wasn't trying to find her mate. She came to get some peace and quiet." Edward explains to me as he looks over at Melissa. Melissa starts whining, making me look at Edward again. "She feels bad for trying to hurt you when her wolf was in control. She doesn't remember what happened all of it but she remembers most of it, including when she tried to attack you when she was pinned to the ground." Edward tells me. I look at Melissa before slowly walking towards her, stopping when Melissa flinches and turns herself away from us. "Just let her sleep. This week will come by just as quick if she stays in control and sleeps." Edward says as I feel him put a hand on my arm. I slowly nod as the two of us walk away from Melissa, heading towards the stairs to leave the room. 

One week later; Monday, June 16, 2015

Melissa's POV

I slowly open my eyes before groaning when I get a pain in my neck. "Are you awake, Melissa?" I hear Alice say, making me look at her. I watch her walk towards me with a bag in her hand. "Did I do anything else besides trying to hurt you?" I ask her as she gets closer to me. "No, you just kept trying to get out of the chains. You succeeded twice but Emmett and Edward pinned you back against the wall so I could help them chain you back up. We'll need to stock up on those stainless steel chains because the regular chains we have don't hurt as much." Alice replies as she takes the chains off of my wrists. I drop my hands down to the floor once she takes the chains off of my wrists fully before leaning my head against the wall. "I can barely feel my body. My whole body aches." I tell her as she bends down, taking the collar off of my neck. "I'll change you quickly and carry you back to the house so you can get actual rest. Just don't pass out on me." Alice replies as she puts her cold hand on my cheek. I slowly look at her and slowly nod, watching Alice change me into a pair of sweatpants, a tank top, hoodie on top of the tank top, and a pair of sandals. She puts the old clothes I wore for a full week in the bag before picking me up. She carries me out of the basement, walking up the stairs and straight to the backdoor that is already opened. "How many times did Carlisle try to come here?" I ask Alice tiredly. "At least 10 times. Edward and Emmett kept having to bring him back and occasionally Jasper using his power to make him feel bad for coming here and trying to unchain you." Alice replies as she looks at me. I slowly nod before laying my head on her shoulder. "Is he at work? Or is he at home?" I ask her. "He stayed in his office after the third day he tried coming to get you out of the chains." Alice replies. I slowly nod again as I close my eyes, sighing a bit. "Don't feel bad, Mel. You know he didn't fully understand the mating bond between you and himself. Carlisle is still learning and reading up on the mating process. He managed to find a few books on the mating process with a shapeshifter and a vampire." Alice tells me, making me slowly look up at her.