Chapter 22

I look down and look at my torn and cut up dress. "She ruined my dress." I mumble. They chuckle, making me look up. "You're not the least worried that you got hurt but you're worried about your dress?" Poppa asks me. "Poppa, momma got me this dress when I got the job in Washington." I tell him. "Wait, that was the dress? I thought it was a different one." Poppa replies. "No, dearie. It was this one." Momma replies. I giggle as I watch Poppa's face turn red as he rubs the back of his neck.

Little did I know that my mate was snapping at a certain Cullen while the rest if his family was trying to calm him down.

I look around and smile. "You haven't changed home have you?" I ask them. "Why would we? I mean, we may be shapeshifters but we don't change. Unless it's for our mate. In which we will do anything for them." Poppa replies, looking at Momma. She blushes and looks down. "Speaking about mates, what Edward said was true." I tell them. "How did you-" I cut Poppa off. "I wasn't fully out of it. I may have been unconscious but us shapeshifters never go fully unconscious. You know this, Poppa." I say, smiling. "So what are you going to do?" Momma asks me. I look at her and shrug. "I'm thinking about going right back. I mean, he did a good thing by taking me here but he is wrong. In the sense that I will start to get sick along with Carlisle if I'm away too long." I say, rubbing the mark. They nod, smiling. "Why are you smiling?" I ask them. "That's how we were. Your mother used to rub her mark while we were dating." Poppa replies. "Oh Chris stop it." Momma replies, blushing.

I chuckle as I wrap an arm around Momma. "Don't worry, Momma. Poppa is just teasing you." I say, making them laugh. "Well, are you staying or going?" Momma asks me. "I'm not sure. I'm thinking of staying the night and just leaving in the afternoon maybe." I tell her. She nods as I take my arm off her shoulder. "Well, I'll make you something to eat. Edward left your phone at the window sill by the way." Momma says as she walks out. I nod as I walk to the window. I grab my phone and look out the window, tensing when I see James in front of my house. (A/N: Just wanted to let you guys know that Tyler Hoechlin is playing as James Hendrick in this book.). I walk away from the window and to the front door. "Munchkin?" I hear Dad call out. I open the door and walk out, walking onto my porch. "What are you doing here, James?" I ask him. "I came to see if you were alright. Some vampire named Edward came and brought you." James replies. "Okay well why are you here?" I ask. "I came to ask your parents how long you would be unconscious. Clearly it wasn't merely 24 hours from the looks of it." He replies.

I roll my eyes and cross my arms. "Yeah, because we weren't dating when I was here isn't the other reason why you're here." I snap. James and I used to date when I was a senior in high school. Up until my third year in medical school, he decides to leave me for Susan who works as a waitress at River's bar and grill. James' glare soften a bit. "You know what would've happened if I wasn't around Susan. You would've been the same way once you found your mate." James replies. I scoff as I shake my head. "You just wanted to see if he was my mate or not." I snarl at him, making James roll his eyes. "I just came to see if you're alright and make sure that Edward person left just before you woke up." James replies. I chuckle as I look at James. "Edward wouldn't watch me while I'm unconscious. He would leave the second he had a chance and gone to Carlisle to tell him my condition." I snarl at him.

James scoffs as I feel a hand on my shoulder. I look next to me and see Poppa, who's looking at James. "James, its best if you just left. My daughter is okay as you can see. I do not want her to have any quarrel with you or Chris." Poppa tells him. "I just told her that Edward left just as she woke up. Also, I wanted to see if she was alright, Christian." James replies. I scoff as I cross my arms again. "Poppa, he just wanted to see me. He heard I was back so he wanted to see if I was badly hurt or anything." I tell Poppa. He looks at me then back at James. "I do truly apologize, James. But I do not wish to break the alliance bond we swore to your maker." Poppa tells him. James looks at Poppa with wide eyes as he guides me back in the house.

Poppa closes the front door just as Momma walks out the kitchen. "What happened?" She asks us. "James. He came by and tried to lie to my face about my condition." I tell her. She sighs and shakes her head. "Well, he was crazy about you until Susan came into the picture." Momma replies. I nod as I walk to the stairs. "Where are you going?" I hear Poppa ask. "I'm going to my room. You guys didn't change it right?" I reply, looking at them. "Heavens no. We wouldn't do that." Momma replies. I nod as I walk up the stairs, straight to me room. I walk up the stairs fully and walk to my room door. I inhale as I slowly open my door. I smile as I notice my room is the same it was before I left.

I walk in as I walk to my closet. I open it and smile more as I notice my clothes are still here. I mean, I know I didn't pack all my clothes but I thought she put them up in the attic. Poppa put a lock on Marcus's door. No one goes in his room because we're all to upset about his death and I blame myself for it. He wanted me to go with him to see his shop but I told him I was busy with my own career. We fought about it and it caused him to storm out. Momma and Poppa both begged him not to leave. He told them nicely that he needed time away from me. That's how I knew it was my fault. I made him have that accident. The coroner said that he had a tear stained face underneath the blood and I knew he was crying while driving. I wipe my eyes as I clench my closet doors. I blame myself for it.

I jump when I feel a hand on my shoulder. "You're not blaming yourself, huh munchkin?" I look over my shoulder and see Poppa. "I do, Poppa. I made him leave. If I would've just said yes to seeing his shop, he would still be here." I tell him. "Munchkin, no one blames you for that. It was no ones fault. Maybe it was his time." Poppa replies. I shake my head and choke on a sob. Poppa turns me around and pulls me into his arms. I grip his arms as I break down, wishing I could have my twin brother back.