Chapter 38

Carlisle looks at him before getting up, putting the book on the couch. "How bad is the issue?" Carlisle asks me. "I think it's best you come out and see." Jasper replies. I watch Carlisle tense before following Jasper out, Edward walking in a moment later. "Edward, what's the matter?" I ask him. "I can't tell you. You'd go crazy and you're still healing." Edward tells me. "No, tell me what the hell is going on and why Carlisle looked scared. I need to know, Edward. Now." I ask him as I put the book next to the one Carlisle was going to read, taking the blanket off. Edward sighs as he looks down before looking back at me. "Melissa, your brother's here. And he wants to take you to the Volturi." Edward asks me. I tense as I stare at Edward, hearing my heart beat faster. Why is he here? What does he want with me? Is he here to take my to the Volturi because I'm a shapeshifter like he was and they want to turn me into a hybrid to see if I'll be stronger than Marcus? "Melissa please don't do anything rash right now. You're still healing. You shouldn't go out there." Edward says to me. "I am going out there. If it's me he wants, he can try because he won't get me. Now take me to where they are." I say as I get up. Edward sighs as he shakes his head before nodding as I follow him out the living room. We walk out the front door, making Marcus look at me. "Hello, twin." Marcus says while smirking at me, his bright orange eyes staring into my green ones.

I clench my hands as I stare at my twin brother, wondering what the hell he's thinking. "Marcus. Why are you here? Why did you choose to become a hybrid? I thought you died in the car accident?" I ask him as I hold back my tears. "You see, I had to stage that. I had been working with the Volturi months before the accident had happened. They said in order for me to become one of them officially, I had to do something that seemed like it was an accident. And that same day I staged the accident, I had gotten an award from the mayor. My store was #1 in Louisiana and was going to be known as the best shop in Louisiana. And I wanted to share that moment with you and have you by my side when I get the award. But you didn't because you had an interview here at Forks hospital and wanted to make sure you had everything packed. Do you know how furious I was when I couldn't share the spotlight with my twin sister? The one who told me to go for my dreams when others shut me down when I told them I wanted to open up my own shop? So, I told the Volturi that I would do it tonight and make sure they were there to collect my body once they took me to the morgue. After that, I had been bitten by them and was brought to Italy that same day. Three days after that accident, I had become one of them. So, I figured I'd get stronger if I had my dear twin sister with me. The both of us could be stronger and help the Volturi out with making an army stronger than the last." Marcus explains to me.

I cover my mouth, trying not to cry before dropping my hands and shaking my head. "Well I'm not going. You're not the same twin brother I knew before the accident. This one wants power. The old Marcus would've wanted family versus power." I say as I clench my hands, glaring at him. "Oh Melissa. How naive and stupid you must be in this very moment. It's always been about power. Even when I got the award, it was about power. They knew my shop was the best shop around. That's how little you knew me. But enough bullshitting around. You're coming with me." Marcus replies as he gets a collar out. Is that a shock collar? Edward, watch my back and if things go south, go for his lower back. It's always been his weak spot growing up. It was one I made for him growing up in cade we ever got split up and something like this happened. "Got it, Melissa. Just be careful. He's planning to go for your thigh." Edward says to me lowly. I nod as I get into an attack stance, watching Marcus chuckle and shake his head at me. "You can't beat me, sister. But you can try. I've acquired some new powers becoming a hybrid." Marcus says as he holds his other hand out, the dirt from under his feet coming up into his hand and making a ball of dirt. I roll my eyes before looking at Carlisle. "I can handle him but if I go down at any given point, you jump in." I say before walking down the stairs. "Be careful, darling." Carlisle replies as I walk away from the front of the house a bit. "Are you really going to fight me, Melissa? You're weak. You won't win against me." Marcus says while smirking.