Chapter 31

Alice's POV

I grunt when I get tackled before hearing her roar at me. I grab her and throw her off of me, making sure not to hurt her. I don't want to hurt Melissa. It's still Melissa in there. I just have to wait until Edward gets here. I get up and dodge her before grabbing her and pinning her to the ground. "Melissa please. I don't want to hurt you. You need to stop and take control." I tell her as I plead, staring into her yellow eyes. She roars at me and tries to get out of my hold while hearing someone walk down the stairs. I look over my shoulder, sighing when I see Edward run over to me. "Her wolf just took control. I can't hold her back." I tell him. "It's fine. I just need to put the chain around her neck and wrists. Then we bring her to the wall. Just keep her still as best as you can." Edward tells me. I nod as I look down at Melissa, hoping she can fight this and try to get control of her body.

Melissa roars as me as she goes to headbutt me, making me move my head back. "Alice, put your hand on her throat. She might not like this but this is the only way for her to get chained." Edward tells me as he gets back over to me, a collar and handcuffs in his hands. I nod as I let go of her right wrist, grabbing her by her throat as she roars at me. She goes to hit me but Edward grabs her hand, uh, paw, quickly and puts the handcuff on her wrist. Edward does the same thing to her other paw before attaching them to the chains. He puts her arms over her head before looking at me. "Now this is the challenging part. When I say, let go of her neck." Edward tells me. I give him a wary look before looking at Melissa as she continues to thrash under me. I don't even feel her struggling under me. "Alright. Now!" Edward says, yelling as he moves the collar over my hand. I let go of her neck and watch her head move up to bite me. I jolt off of her before watching her put her neck in the collar. Edward fastens the collar around her neck before locking it shut. Edward drags Melissa to the closest wall, bringing her up into a sitting position. He puts the chain on a hook before putting a lock on it once he bends the hook up towards the ceiling. I sigh and put a hand on my head as I watch her continue to thrash in the chains. "So, we're supposed to leave her here like this? What are we supposed to tell Carlisle?" I ask Edward. "We explain to him what she's going through and tell him that he can't be around her. If he tries to come near her, then we get him out of here. I know Melissa might be able to break through them. They might be stainless steel, but I know when a shapeshifter like her sees their mate in trouble, they become stronger than they usually are." Edward explains to me. I nod as I watch Melissa roar and snarl at us. "Let me go now! I need to see Carlisle! I need to have him mate with me to complete the process!" Melisa yells out while roaring as she continues to struggle in the chains. "What are you talking about?" Edward asks her as he walks over to her.

Melissa looks at Edward before she starts laughing, her struggling slowly stopping for what seems like a split second. "I'm talking about Carlisle making me a hybrid. He can simply bite me and snap my neck as soon as he makes love to me. You wouldn't understand since you turned your wife after she had your kid." Melissa replies, making Edward tense. "Edward, she doesn't mean it. You know she doesn't mean it. Don't let what she say get to you." I tell him as I walk over to him, putting a hand on his arm. Edward looks at me before nodding as Melissa laughs like a maniac. "You vampires will never understand a wolf or shapeshifter's life. We get bitten by our mate, we become stronger. Come on. You don't think I can't break out of these? Humph. You're wrong. I can easily break out of these. But I'm surprised your reflexes are fast." Melissa says as she continues struggling in the chains. "You're not going to see Carlisle until the week is up. End of discussion. Alice, I'll have Emmett come back around 2am when she's hopefully asleep. Or passed out from trying too hard to get out of the chains. Whichever comes first. If she comes out, call me as quickly as you can." Edward tells me. I nod as Edward speeds out of the basement, making me walk over to a bench near the bag she had. "Do you really think you can defeat me? Or even bring me on my knees? I don't think so." Melissa says to me as she smirks. I look at her before getting up, walking over to her. She growls and snarls at me as I get closer, trying her best to get out the chains. "I never said that I could defeat you. But I know you wouldn't hurt us because you would feel bad about it. And if you hurt us, then Carlisle wouldn't forgive you because you hurt one of us. Even if you are his mate and have given him a second chance at love, he would never forgive you. Is that what you want?" I ask her. 

Melissa stops thrashing before looking back at me. I knew I hit a spot. "Why did you come here, Melissa? Was it to see if there were other shifters like you? Or to manipulate us vampires to be your pawn? Tell me, Melissa." I ask her as I put my hands behind my back. Melissa looks away before closing her eyes. Why did she close her eyes? What is she hiding? "I came to Forks because Sam had suggested it. Since Sam is my childhood friend and knows the reason why I needed to leave, he suggested coming here and staying in the house in the woods near you and your clan. I wasn't trying to find my mate. But when I met Carlisle at work, I knew he was my mate. I couldn't help myself. His scent was intoxicating." Melissa explains to me. I furrowed my eyebrows, wondering what she means. "Alice, she's telling the truth. She came here to get away from a passing that happened a few months back. Sam Uley from La Push suggested coming here to Forks since Forks is a quiet place for her." I hear Edward said. I look over my shoulder, watching Edward walking over to us. "What are you talking about? How do you know about it?" I ask him. "Because I was in the woods when she was talking to Sam and Jacob at the treaty line. I can understand them in their mind links most of the time so she wasn't lying when she said she wasn't trying to find her mate. She came to get some peace and quiet." Edward explains to me as he looks over at Melissa. Melissa starts whining, making me look at Edward again. "She feels bad for trying to hurt you when her wolf was in control. She doesn't remember what happened all of it but she remembers most of it, including when she tried to attack you when she was pinned to the ground." Edward tells me. I look at Melissa before slowly walking towards her, stopping when Melissa flinches and turns herself away from us. "Just let her sleep. This week will come by just as quick if she stays in control and sleeps." Edward says as I feel him put a hand on my arm. I slowly nod as the two of us walk away from Melissa, heading towards the stairs to leave the room.