Prologue

It all began in China, in Qingping City. There was news that a baby that gave off light was born. Ever since then, superpowers were discovered in various places, and time passed without the cause being identified.

Before we knew it, the supernatural became normal, and dreams become reality. The world has become a superhuman society, and about 80% of the world's population now has some kind of special trait. In this world swirling with chaos, the profession that everyone once dreamed about and admired came into the limelight. That profession is... superheroes.

Along with the superpowers came an explosive increase in crime. As the country was stuck in the slow progress of drastic law reforms, courageous people started performing heroic acts from out of comic books. Guarding against superpowers and defending against evil. Heroes were soon accepted by the public, and it was established as an official position. Based on their performance, they are paid by the government and gain renown among the masses.

Each hero was ranked on how effective and popular they are, but only the top 10 get the most praise. It was a steaming battle on who can make it to the top hero, let alone the top 10. Children dream of becoming the next top hero, but, in reality, it was hard being a hero.

Most heroes tend to keep their lives away from the costume private, to protect the people they love from any threats. They create hero names, names to keep away from using their birth names, giving them a persona for the people to go by. It is hard to keep private since many heroes are tempted from the publicity to give out their name, for the world to know who they really are.

Some people learn the hard way, not just from them, but from their loved ones as well who have to deal with the repercussions. But no matter what, a true hero smiles in the face of danger, to show the world that goodness always prevails.

----------------------------------------------

I knew it first hand, my father would always tell me that saying whenever I felt scared after he would come home from a long day. With his tired eyes and bruised skin, he would always smile at my teary face, comforting me after a hard day at work. Some people would be glad that their father is a hero, especially one of the top 3. I enjoyed it while it lasted until reality hit me. That being a hero had its perks, but always a repercussion at the end.