Chapter 5, part 2

Xyon Pov

Something is very wrong because I can not only hear her thoughts I am also in tune with all her emotions. After I asked her why I am able to hear her thoughts she freezes and I can see that she has some kind of an anxiety attack.

“hey are you okay?” I ask her gently, but all she does, is stare at me and start shivering all over, I hug her “Look I am really sorry for attacking you so harshly I really didn’t mean to scare you”

Mary starts to cry and between each sob I can barely make out what she is saying “I-I d-don’t k-know h-how o-or w-why y-you c-can h-hear m-my t-thoughts” she lets out another sob. I just hug her stronger and try to calm her down

 “shh…, forget I said anything and trust me it’s not your fault I am sure there is a logical answer to it which you don’t have but I am sure it has something to do with me” I said reassuringly.

She pulled a bit out of my arms and looked me in the eyes, her beautiful green doe eyes staring up to me in confusion. I took a deep breath and ran my hand through my hair.

“Listen I think you should sit down for this, okay?” I asked her making sure she understood me I really felt bad for embarrassing her and putting her on the spot like I did. She nodded and we went back to where we were sitting a few moments ago.

As soon as we sat down she looked at me urging me to complete what I was about to say.

“You see it’s not your fault and I am pretty sure of that because something must have mixed up my senses with yours allowing me to hear your thoughts and I am sure it was a momentarily thing for right now I can’t hear anything. It’s a long story and it happened before ten years to be precise, I had to make a choice which deprived me of my right to have a mate, she took in a sharp breath and her eyes opened up widely I chuckled bitterly.

“You know it’s not that shocking, people have done far more than sacrifice their own happiness” I said sadly. She was silent a few moments but then she replied

“But as much as I have heard that losing your mate is far worse of a punishment than death itself!” I saw her beautiful face being illuminated by the moonlight coming through my open window.

 “Yes, you are right, but sometimes choices are made for you and you have no say in them” I said angrily not knowing why she was really making me feel strange and uneasy. It was all my wolf’s fault, he honestly couldn’t find another time to poke his nose into!. He and his stupid heightened senses,

 Being an alpha and the head of council gives you some perks and I am guessing tapping into this innocent girl’s mind was his way to remind me of my needs. It’s not like I have kept my hands away from women, but they were all just a one night stand that’s all. And here I am talking to this girl and telling her things I have never told anyone!