forty eight

"Just because I gave her your last name doesn't mean I forgive you."

That's been a constant reminder Jo would give Harry as the days wore on. Jo was released from the hospital a couple of days later and was now in the comfort of her own home with little Lilia.

To be honest, Jo thought it was going to be a lot easier now that she was home, but her troubles were just beginning. She was quick to deny Harry's help, simply because she couldn't bear having him around after what happened, but her mother had to go home soon, which means Jo would be all on her own.

"Jo, just let me help you," Harry pleaded with her, watching as Jo simply continued to take care of Lilia herself.

"Have you stopped drinking?" Jo asked him, fixing the diaper she just changed Lilia in to before fixing her onesie. Harry's hesitation was all she needed as proof. "I already told you that you are not going to hang around my daughter as a drunk."

Jo brushed past Harry, sitting down in the rocker in Lilia's nursery before cradling her close.

Lilia's beautiful. With her mother's striking features, the only thing she inherited from her father was the more greenish color of her eyes -- but even then, they were more brown than green.

Harry could only watch on, his heart slowly shattering. If only Jo knew that he drinks because of his problems. If only she knew that he would just stop drinking if she would let him in, let him in to her life.

If only she could understand that letting Harry in doesn't mean that she's replacing Max.

"Jo," Harry turned away from the changing table, walking right up to Jo. He dropped down on his knees in front of her, choosing his next words carefully. "Please let me help you. I promise I'll stop drinking and I promise that I'll always be here for you and I promise I won't make any more mistakes. I just can't stand not being around the two of you..."

I love you.

Jo's eyes widened as he spoke, slowly stopping the rocking of the chair. She didn't want to admit it, but she missed having him around. She's felt so alone since this all started -- Beanie hardly comes over anymore because she can't stand the crying and Jo's always busy, her mother's leaving in a week, and Melinda has her own kids to take care of. And taking care of a newborn is a lot of work. Jo is running on four hours of sleep at most, and even those four precious hours are interrupted by Lilia's cries. Jo can only hold herself together for so long before she'll fall apart.

"How do I know I can trust you?" She asked him quietly, her voice hardly above a whisper.

"You don't know... I'll just have to show you." He gently stretched out his arms, waiting for Jo to allow him to hold Lilia for the first time. If she did this, that would mean that there was no going back... she would be giving Harry her life.

"Okay," she sighed, carefully reaching forward to place Lilia in Harry's arms.

"Watch her head."

"Harry, make sure she's comfortable."

"Watch her arm, Harry; she's not as strong as us."

After she deemed him capable of holding Lilia, Jo finally released her, giving Harry the chance to spend time with their daughter.

He was good at it, too. As the day continued, Jo rarely had to help him when it came to changing diapers, bathing her, and tending to her other needs. Which means Jo finally had more time to rest and relax, to build up her own health that at one point was deteriorating.

"You did good, Harry," Jo teased him, standing by Lilia's crib that night. He simply shrugged, pulling Jo in for a hug as they watched Lilia's peaceful slumber.

For once, everything seemed to be alright. But if only they knew this was the quiet before the storm.

..... ..... .....

"You're leaving?!" Jo shouted, the news Harry just told her shocking her. She could feel the tears building up in her eyes as Harry nodded.

How was Harry supposed to know that Rick was willing to follow through with his promise to Jo? How was he supposed to know that he was to go back to England to prepare for a European tour -- a four month tour? How was he supposed to know that he was going to break one of the promises he made to Jo?

He didn't.

Jo couldn't stop the tears from falling down her face as she began to imagine what it would be like with Harry gone. This is exactly what she was trying to avoid in the long run.

Harry reached forward to hug her, to try and comfort her but she simply stepped out of his reach, shaking her head.

"So, this is it, huh?"

"Jo -- "

"After I opened up to you and you told me I could trust you? After you promised me that you wouldn't leave me alone? Harry, you know how I've been feeling about being a mother! I thought it was going to be so much easier, but I was proven wrong! And now, after you promised to fix everything and that nothing will happen, you're going to leave me?"

But he wasn't going to leave her alone. You see, he has a plan.

"Jo," Harry paused, looking in to the crib to make sure that Lilia was still sound asleep before he continued. "I do plan on keeping my promise to you. I want you to come with me to England, and everything will be okay! My mother's agreed to let you stay with her and Gemma while I'm away -- plus, they want to meet Lilia. And, when I'm not working, I'll be with you and Lilia. How does that sound?"

All Jo did was shake her head, refusing his proposition.

"Harry, I can't just pick up my life and leave! I'm not ready for that! I'll be leaving Beanie and Melinda and Marco and Jenna and Emma! Lilia deserves the chance to know them, too!"

"But don't you think you should give England a try?" Harry asked her, carefully approaching Jo.

"I can't do that, Harry; I won't do it."

So, that was it. Harry and Jo were going to be separated once again.

Maybe it's better this way...

Harry placed a kiss to Jo's forehead, followed by Lilia's, before he left.

because it could hardly work out... a normal, broken girl, and a famous, troubled boy.

____________

a/n.

omfg guys. there's two chapters left. :-(

anyway, what did you guys think? did you like it or hate it...?

vote, comment, fan, and share :-)

i love you guys so so much and i just wanted to thank you for everything :D

AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR GETTING ME TO 508.6K READS AND 26.5K VOTES AND 5.3K COMMENTS YOU GUYS ARE LITERALLY SO AWESOME I JUST *le dies before book can finish*

bye for now :D