twenty six

Harry

She didn't trust me.

No, she doesn't trust me.

I left the nursery shortly after, just needing to get out of that stuffy house. I needed to get away for a while.

It shouldn't bother me that she doesn't trust me, but it does.

It shouldn't bother me because I don't care -- I'm not supposed to care.

But somehow,

somewhere along the way,

I did.

And now I'm paying the price for it. I'm paying the price for opening up to someone who I'm going to leave in a matter of months. I opened myself up to getting hurt and completely destroyed, and I am paying the price.

At least this stopped before it could go any further than it already has.

I don't know how it happened or why I ended up going to my location...

but I found myself parked in front of Melinda's house, on her front porch, and I knocked on the door like there was no tomorrow.

"Harry, what are you doing here? And where's Jo?"

"Jo's at the house... Can I come in?" I asked her, trying my best to sound as sincere as possible. I was working off of impulse, and I'm not sure if this was the smartest thing to do, but it was the only one I could think of.

She hastily moved to the side, opening the door wide enough for me to walk through. I entered the familiar house and made my way in to the familiar living room, taking a seat on the oh-so familiar couch.

"What's on your mind?" She asked me, sighing quite loudly.

I know she doesn't like me.

"I wanted to ask you something... about Jo."

"Go on then; ask."

"Who was her um..." I trailed off awkwardly, hoping that Melinda would get what I was hinting at.

"Who was...?"

"Her husband." I never knew those two words could pain me so much.

"Oh, you mean Max?"

"I guess so..."

"Well, Max and Jo got married after their second year in college, they were together since their freshman year and they instantly clicked. You could say it was love at first sight if you believe in that kind of thing," she spoke as she stood up from the couch. I stayed behind, wondering if I should follow or not but turns out I didn't have to.

She retrieved a picture from the mantle, hidden in the back, before handing it to me.

"I've never seen my sister so happy. They were the perfect couple you could say. You would never see them apart and they hardly ever fought."

"But one thing they weren't expecting was Max's cancer to come back. He was diagnosed when he was eighteen with lung cancer and they treated it. Then it came back and it spread and it was too late... he ended up passing away."

"We were all really close to Max so it hurt us when he died, but it hurt Jo the most. They were only married for a couple of months before he died."

I received a better understanding of the situation and of Jo's past just by visiting her sister, and suddenly I was glad I did.

I ended up leaving a lot sooner than I planned on, simply because I wanted to go make everything right. Again, I was acting on impulse and I knew that if I stopped to think about everything, I would back out.

It was just something I had to do.

And I'm pretty sure my feelings have changed... just a little bit.

____________

a/n.

omfg.

harry.

you're being so freaking cute.

anywho, there's some more light on the subject. you know a little teeny tiny bit more about jo's past so voila c:

anywho, please

cote + fan / follow

i love you guys and seriously thank you for everything! you guys are freaking awesome c:

btw there's a gif c: