one

Phones ringing and the clicking of keys. That's what she heard as she sat in the vinyl chair, her slender fingers tapping anxiously on the armrests. She's been waiting for thirteen minutes and still she has not been called to see her.

'Dr.Brennan's office.' Call after call, minute after minute, that was all she heard. She was growing more anxious by the second.

Seventeen minutes now.

"Jo Cordova." Her head snapped up, her hazel eyes meeting the expectant stare of the nurse's. It's a good thing she was called, too; one more minute of waiting and she might have walked out the door.

"Yes, that's... that's me." Without a second thought, Jo stood up from her seat, her bag slapping against her side as it fell. Then it was the soft squeaking of her converse against the linoleum tiled floor.

Huh, I guess seventeen is the lucky number. She was led in to a small room, no bigger than her guest bedroom, and was sat in the chair.

"Dr.Brennan will be right with you in a moment." The nurse smiled and she smiled back.

Then she was all alone -- just like in the waiting room.

This is something new that had to be done. The minute she saw her business card on the bulletin board at the local library, she just had to come. It was like she was given a sign from him. She can't back out of this now.

Again with the waiting. When it comes to this part of the doctor's office, she starts to think too much about the negatives and not enough about the positives -- yeah, you could say she's kind of a pessimist.

She started to braid her chocolatey locks, giving her shaking hands something to do. The rhythmic tapping of her worn shoes on the floor gave a deafening echo to interrupt the unwanted silence.

What was taking the doctor so long?

Then the door opened, followed by a greeting: "Jo; it's so nice to see you, again."

"Hello, Dr.Brennan. I was starting to think that I would never get the chance to see you today." That was her reply as the doctor took a seat on her stool as she held up a folder.

"This was what I was arranging for you to see."

Jo looked shocked as there seemed to be a supposedly-hidden happiness in the doctor's pale blue eyes. As if confirming her beliefs, the doctor smiled, the familiar wrinkles by her eyes appearing.

"You found someone?"

"The perfect candidate." Dr.Brennan opened the folder for her to see, the broad bridge of her glasses falling on to her nose as her blonde hair fell from its hold. "I'm not allowed to disclose the identity of the donor but he is well qualified and seems to have all the traits you are searching for."

She was right:

Brown, curly hair.

Green eyes.

Tall.

Healthy.

The list could go on and on.

"This is all really, really great. So... what now?" Jo peeked up from the papers almost shyly, waiting to hear about the next step of her journey.

"Well, now it's all a matter of setting up appointments for the procedure. We'll need to administer you a couple of drugs to take in order to stimulate the process but other than that, you should be fine to start in a few weeks. It's all up to you."

Jo bit her lip as she seemed to drift off in to her own little world. She was given everything she needed, so now it was all up to if she felt like it or not.

After what seemed like forever, she finally smiled: "The sooner the better."

____________

a/n. first chapppiieeee c: what'd ya think?

cote + fan / follow lovelies c: