forty

Harry

To be honest, I was just messing with her.

When I asked her if she was my girlfriend, I expected her to freak out and say no, but instead she did just the opposite. I watched as her cheeks flushed red, her eyes wide. And then she threw me a curveball.

"Yes, Harry, I'm your girlfriend."

I never knew one simple phrase could make my heart skip the way it did just then.

"Alright, then... let's go."

After that, it was all a matter of us pretending to be a couple. It honestly wasn't that hard of a task -- anytime Isabel would bring up something about the two of us, we'd quickly make up a story. Other than that, we tried to avoid any sticky situations.

I finally got the break I needed when Melinda came over with the kids. They instantly distracted Isabel for enough time so that I could escape, even if it was just for a few minutes. I was able to make it out the front door, down the porch steps before I had to stop.

"Leaving?" Jo's voice followed me, stopping me in my tracks. I swiftly turned around only to see her leaning against the doorframe, her arms crossed out in front of her, resting at the top of her baby bump.

Seven months already...

"Uh, no... No I was just trying to -- "

"To get away from me, right?" She paused, nodding her head as if to confirm her thoughts before shrugging. "I get that you're still mad at me for what happened... and it wasn't really fair of me to tell you to leave like that."

"Jo, you don't have to apologize. I get why you told me to leave in the first place; you were just scared of what your mom might think -- and I would be, too, if I were you." Trying to make her feel better, I smiled, showing her no harm was done.

I was lying; a lot of harm was done.

"You don't have to lie to me, Harry; I know how much it bothered you when I told you to leave. I just... I'm not married, and I know that bothers my mother, even if it is just a little. I didn't want to drag you down with me in case she decided to start a war with me or something."

Her eyes travelled to the ground as she laughed, her bare feet tracing circles in the wood of the front porch.

"It really is okay, Jo," I paused, taking a deep breath. "After all, you're my girlfriend, remember? And couples get in arguments."

I could feel the tension in the air quickly dissipate as she looked up at me, smiling.

"Don't you mean 'girlfriend'?"

"Sure... we can go with that."

____________

a/n.

omfg.

this is so cute.

um... idek what else i should say, but you know what to do...

vote, comment, fan, and share :-)

i love you guys so much and thank you so much for everything you have done for me and this story ilysm <3

ALSO THANKS SO MUCH FOR 118.1K READS, 10.2K VOTES, AND 3.4K COMMENTS I LOVE YOU ALL SO FREAKING MUCH YOU HAVE NO IDEA DAMMIT

also... JO IS PLAYED BY EMILIA CLARKE OKAY?