thirty four

Jo

"A baby girl?" Beanie asked me as I nodded. She's probably asked me that question five thousand times since I showed her the ultrasound picture and I told her the news. "Oh my goodness, Jo! Congratulations!"

I simply smiled at her before turning back to the object in my hands: my phone.

I know I should do it... but I'm just scared to. What will she say? What will he say? What will they all say?

"Ugh, this is just so stressful," I groaned, resting my head against the table top. I felt Beanie grab a couple strands of my hair as she began to braid them, something she loves to do to annoy me.

"Careful Jo, the doctor said -- "

"I know damn well what the doctor said," I snapped at her, raising my head to glare at her. She immediately released my hair and raised her hands in surrender.

"Sorry, dude, I just thought I should remind you." I couldn't help but listen to her, she only had good intentions. Besides, she doesn't know why I'm even so snappy in the first place.

"No, I should be saying sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you like that, it's just I have a lot on my mind right now and it doesn't help that I hardly got any sleep because Harry called me at five in the morning completely drunk, and I just want to crawl in to a hole and sleep for eternity."

"Alright, Jo, why don't you tell me what's on your mind. I've never seen you this freaked out before."

I didn't know how to tell her. No one knows besides Melinda, and Melinda's already pushing me to do it; and the last thing I need right now is for Beanie to follow in Melinda's footsteps and nag me about something I know should already be done.

"I... I have to call my mom..."

I nervously glanced up at Beanie, waiting for her to react -- to yell at me or to scream at me -- but all she did was stare at me, urging me to go on. "Why are you stressed about calling your mom?"

"She... doesn't know I'm pregnant."

Beanie stared at me for a moment, not moving in the slightest. I'm starting to think I froze her --

"HOW THE HELL HAVE YOU NOT TOLD YOUR OWN MOTHER THAT YOU'RE HAVING A BABY?! DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT'S BEEN?! IT'S ALMOST BEEN SIX MONTHS! SIX FREAKING MONTHS! JO CORDOVA YOU BETTER PHONE YOUR MOTHER RIGHT NOW AND TELL HER OR I SWEAR -- "

"Okay, okay, I'm going!" I cut her off, instantly moving my seat away from her, simply so I could avoid her arm spasms.

"You're lucky you're pregnant or I would have strangled you," she grumbled, watching me like a hawk as I gripped my phone in my hands and dialled the all too familiar number.

The phone rang once, then twice before she finally answered.

"Jo Cordova what do you have to say for yourself?!" I flinched as my mother shouted through the phone, her shrill voice even being heard by Beanie. She laughed at me like this were the funniest thing in the world.

She knows? How the hell does she know?

I could feel myself starting to panic as my nightmares suddenly became a reality.

"Mom, I can explain -- "

"It's been over a month since you've last called me! I thought we agreed that when you moved you were supposed to keep in touch with us every day!" I literally felt my heart begin to beat again as I realized that my mother had no idea.

Thank God.

"Mom, I'm twenty four years old, I think I'm old enough to handle myself over here."

I heard her angry cursing as she mumbled something along the lines of "esta bendita nena me va a matar de un ataque de corazón" before answering me.

"Yes, but I'm a mother and I would love to hear from my children more often than a month. Melinda calls me every single week."

"Okay, Mom, I'm sorry; I'll be sure to call you every week just like Melinda."

"M'ija, que paso? Me llamaste para algo?"

"Mom, I have something to tell you."

"Que paso? Is Melinda alright?"

"Yes, Mom, Melinda is fine. I just have something to tell you... about me." The line fell silent as I looked up at Beanie. She urged me on, just waiting for me to tell her the magic words.

"Mami, you say you love me no matter what, right?"

"JO CORDOVA WHAT DID YOU DO?"

"I didn't do anything bad, Mami, I was just asking!" I heard my mother sigh over the phone before shouting something at my father on the other line. Oh great, now he's going to hear this, too.

"Entonces que paso? Avanza para que tu papa te puede saludar."

"Mom, do you think, maybe, you can get Daddy to leave the room so you can tell him later?"

"Tell him what?"

"Mami, don't panic... but I'm pregnant."

translation (rough translation it doesn't sound the same in English as it does in Spanish):

**esta bendita nena me va a matar de un ataque de corazón = this girl is going to kill me with a heart attack

**M'ija, que paso? Me llamaste para algo? = my daughter, what happened? did you call me for something?

**Que paso? = what happened?

**Entonces que paso? Avanza para que tu papa te puede saludar. = then what happened? hurry up so your father can say hello.

____________

a/n.

for all of you who have not heard:

THE SECOND BOOK FOR "SPERM DONOR" IS POSTED IT'S CALLED "ONE NIGHT"

hey guys.

a longer update, woo.

so, anyway, in this chapter you kind of find out a little more about jo's parents and stuff and her family mainly because she hasn't told them... hehe

anyway, what do you think will happen next?

vote, comment, share, follow me :-)

and i love you guys so much literally and thank you so much for reading this story that still has a ways to go before it's finished :-) ily again <333