Chapter 50: I Was So Scared

[Kat]

I was jerked out of my sleep by a loud thud and what sounded like Shawn calling my name. I rolled over and reached for him, but didn't find anything. That side of the bed was empty. Startled, I sat up and switched on the bedside lamp.

"Babe?" I asked into the room. "Where are you?"

"I'm down here." When I leaned over the bed, I saw that Shawn had fallen in a heap.

"What are you doing? Come back to bed." I couldn't understand why he kept pulling stuff like this. Couldn't we just have one night?

"I can't move."

"What do you mean?" Fear crept into me. The thought he might actually be hurt was a scary thought.

"I can't move. It's like I'm paralyzed."

No no no no no.

I swept the blankets away from me and left the fake safety of the bed, crouching beside him on the floor. "Are you sure? Does it hurt?" I looked him up and down, as if this was something I would be able to see.

"Well it doesn't feel great." I moved his arm to be in a more comfortable position, not that I knew whether or not it helped. It at least made me feel useful.

I didn't know what to do. Shawn was stuck, and I was useless. He was suffering, and I couldn't do anything to help.

"Oh my God. I'm going to go get Paul," I told him. "Stay here."

"Not like I can go anywhere," he grumbled. I ignored him.

If anyone were to come out of their hotel rooms in the early morning, they would think I was absolutely insane. I pounded on Paul's door, as if beating it to death was going to wake him up faster. Out in the middle of the empty hallway in what I wore to bed, the door to our room that I had left open providing the only light, I suddenly felt very small and alone.

Finally Paul swung open the door, and it was clear he had taken the time to get dressed. Before he could even get out words to ask what the fuck was wrong with me, I pulled on his arm towards the room I shared with Shawn. "It's Shawn, he's, he's... I don't know. I don't know what to do. You have to help."

The concern on his face was evident as he managed to push past me and make it to Shawn first.

"Shawn, look at me. Are you alright?"

I heard Paul talking to him, but for a moment or two, I was elsewhere. I was with Shawn at Christmas, before our madness happened. I was in the arena earlier in the night, listening to the words I shouted at him.

You're going to end up killing yourself.

I never regretted any words more than those.

I snapped back to present day when I heard Paul call my name.

"KAT." I assumed it wasn't the first time. "We're going to have to take him to the hospital. Why don't you get ready. Maybe put some pants on?"

I mentally kicked myself for forgetting that I was not dressed at all. Wearing just my underwear and Shawn's sweatshirt, I felt vulnerable. I was just glad it was Paul and no one else. I nodded an affirmation and scrambled around for a bra and pants.

As I shut myself in the bathroom, I shut my eyes tight. This was real. Shawn was hurt, probably pretty damn bad, and we were making a midnight hospital trip. Well, not midnight. It had to be well past that.

I could still hear Paul talking to Shawn, and I thanked God we had a friend like him. If Paul weren't around, where would either of us be?

I threw on my bra and jeans quickly. Shawn's shirt made me feel safe, like I was wrapped in his arms, so I kept it on. Looking in the mirror, I was a mess. It was just going to have to be that way. Let the paparazzi have their fun, if they were even out there at that time.