Chapter 20: Cats Don't Look Like This

-----
Kat's POV
-----

As I stood in front of the long hotel mirror, I found myself wondering where the rest of my outfit was.

My makeup looked nice... a little dark maybe, but that was because I let Shawn choose the colors. My hair was curled, as usual, but instead of the normal natural-looking curls, they were more defined. Also Shawn's idea.

Shawn chose all of my costume, actually. A fact which, I was slowly finding out, was terrible judgement on my part.

My shirt -if you could even call it that- and miniskirt were both black and barely covered anything. Paired with the heels I was wearing, I looked like I should be working out on the street corner.

"Um, Shawn?"

"Hmm?" came his response from the other room. He was finishing his own outfit.

"What am I supposed to be?" I asked. We were headed to a Halloween party, so Shawn insisted we get into the spirit.

He walked into the bathroom and placed a cat-eared headband on my head. "You're a cat," he told me simply.

"I'm pretty sure cats don't look like this," I replied. I sighed. "You get to be Elvis, which makes me ask again why I couldn't be Jackie Kennedy."

"Kat, I told you. No one would talk to you. This is what girls who go to Halloween parties wear. All the other girls there are going to look like this."

"And what if I don't want to look like all the other girls?" I crinkled my nose. I did not enjoy this.

"Katherine, you are so goddamn attractive. Please just let me show you off?" he begged. He had been pleading and whining about this for days.

I couldn't stop myself from saying yes. I couldn't keep on with his constant begging. He was damn persistent, that was for sure.

"Fine," I exhaustedly gave in. He cheered. "If I can wear you jacket."

He gave me a look and reluctantly shrugged off the jacket, handing it over. I slipped it over my own shoulders.

About that time, knocking at the door let us know Paul was ready, and had probably been waiting on us, as usual.

I opened the door and let him in. "We're almost done, I swear." I walked over to grab my purse from the nightstand.

I felt eyes lingering on me. I turned back around to find Paul still staring at me. I gave him a look that asked, "What?".

"Kat, wear are your clothes?"

I wrapped my arms around myself self-consciously. "Shawn, I told you this costume was a bad idea. I'm changing."

Shawn rushed over to stop me, grabbing my shoulders and forcing me to stay where I was. "No, no, no, no. Paul, will you please tell Kat how amazing she looks?" I could practically feel the pain from the death glare I knew he was giving him.

"Oh, um, yeah! He's right. You, uh, you look hot."

"Thank you. See?" Shawn grinned.

"I don't know..." I bit down on my lower lip, thinking about it.

"C'mon, Kat, you look great. I was just a little surprised to see you in a costume like that," Paul tried to retract his original thoughts. "I am not waiting on the two of you for another hour," he insisted. "Let's go."

I sighed. Fine. I would make it through one night in the oufit. It couldn't be too bad, right?

***