Chapter 25: More Than You Know

-----
Shawn's POV
-----

Kat was still moping around. To be honest, she hadn't left the bed. Never did I think I would see the day when I was ready before Kat. But that day had come.

She was huddled underneath the covers, beneath the protection the blankets provided. I had a feeling she was crying again.

She'd been crying. I knew this was something else. Kat had fought with Vince tons of times. Hell, they barely had times when they got along. This wasn't about fighting with Vince. This was about Kat standing up for herself. She had been presented with a choice.

And she chose me.

It was a strange feeling, to say the least. She really did care about me. And I loved her, even when she was crying in bed. God knows I'd seen worse times than that.

I wanted to lay back down, pull her into my arms, and hold her until she fell back asleep. But we had things to do, places to see. Planes to catch. That's what she was typically telling me.

I tried not to let out a sigh as I sat down beside her. "You can't hide in there forever," I told her softly.

"Why not?" she sniffed. I could hear the pain in her voice.

"We have a show to go to. You remember, work?"

"I'm not going," she muttered. I could barely hear it.

Being the stubborn person I am, I wasn't leaving without her. "Then neither am I." I hoped that would make her rethink it.

"Guess Dad will just have to suck it up, then," was all she said.

I did sigh this time. I thought about my coping mechanisms. They weren't the healthiest, but they were all I knew. Maybe they'd help Kat.

I pulled the blankets off of her, making her shiver in the cool air. I held out my hands to her. In one hand, a couple of painkillers. In the other, a bottle of beer. "Pick your poison." It was unlikely she'd go for either.

She took one drink of the beer before handing it right back.

"That's awful," she commented. Her face and reaction made me laugh. At least she'd done something.

"Fine, I'll take it." I took the painkillers and washed them down with the beer.

She tried to pull the blankets back up, but I stopped her. "Not so fast." She whined, of course.

"Katherine, you have to get up." I declared. "You know, it would all work out better if you would actually talk to me..." I was trying to get something out of her.

She sighed. Finally, she was going to talk about it. Maybe I was just dumb, but I couldn't figure out why she was still acting like that.

"I'm sorry. I'm not even sad." She wiped away tears. "I'm just angry. I'm so damn angry. I don't even know why I'm angry at this point."

"Well there's no point in that," I replied.

She cracked a small smile. "I know. But can't I just wallow for a little bit longer?"

"Nope. Places to be, remember?"

She glared at me, mostly jokingly. "I hate that I'm rubbing off on you."

I smiled innocently. "I don't know what you're talking about."

She tossed a pillow at me. "Shut up, you smug bastard."

"Hey!" I exclaimed. "I may be a bastard, but I'm not that smug."

She had a hard time covering up her laughter with that firm glare.

***

Kat pulled on the edge of her shirt, apparently unhappy with how it was sitting. "I don't like this outfit."

"You make it sound like I forced you into it," I joked.

"Well you did force me to get up, so technically..."

I shook my head. "I made you get up, but you chose your clothes yourself."

"Thank God..." she muttered.

"Excuse me, what was that?" I asked. "Did I hear what I think I heard?"

"Well the couple times I let you pick what I was wearing weren't exactly the best," she admitted.

"No, what I think I heard was 'Thank you, Shawn, for taking care of me'. Maybe that was my imagination."

She sighed. "Thank you, Shawn." She went quiet for a few moments. I turned to her and found her still looking at me.

"What?" I asked. "Something on face?"

"I love you." It was barely more than a whisper, but it was the most serious either of us had been all day. "I don't know what I did to deserve you, but I'm glad." The tears threatened to return to her eyes.

"Hey, hey." I wiped them away. "You spent forever on your makeup, I'm not waiting three hours for you to do it again."

She giggled. The sound was music to me.

I straightened, grabbing both of her hands. "I love you too. More than you know."

Maybe I didn't have hope for myself, but she did. Kat was always there, so I had to be there for her, too.

-----
-A/N-
I might as well just change my update schedule to "sometime during the week" smh.
This is short and kinda bad (and may or may not be unedited), but hey, Shawtherine! Next week (this week at this point lmao) is gonna leave yall SHOOK