Chapter 28: It's All My Fault

-----
Shawn's POV
-----

When I woke up, the first thing I noticed was that I was wired into a bunch of shit. There was some sort of tube in my arm, which I definitely didn't care for. I was reaching over to pull it out when I noticed Paul.

"Stop! You need that, dumbass," he said, pulling my hand away.

Of course, him telling me that only made me want to take it out even more. But I didn't. I shook my head, trying to clear it, as I glanced around.

It was white. Clean. Still. We were in the damn hospital.

I groaned and pulled my hands across my face. "What'd I do?" I asked. I couldn't remember why I would be there, but knowing myself, it was probably some stupid shit.

"You were in an accident."

It all started coming back to me. Kat and I had been heading back to the hotel. She fell asleep while I was driving, which was fine. She was so beautiful when she slept anyway. I remembered the flash of light coming from her window that blinded me. And then the impact. Oh, God.

"Where's Kat?" I demanded. I immediately started to get up again, but Paul wouldn't let me.

"Will you lay the fuck down?" he insisted. I knew he was right, but that didn't make me like it. "She's in surgery."

"What? Why? What's wrong?" I started bombarding him with questions. My mind was racing.

He raised his hands in surrender. "Shawn, Shawn, settle down. I don't know anything. I just got here. The only thing I know is what they told me about you."

I had been all caught up with how Kat was that I hadn't even stopped to think about my own condition. I felt fine. I wanted out of all the things tying me down, and I wanted out of the bed, and I wanted out of the room. But I felt fine.

"What did they tell you about me?"

He shrugged. "You're fine, for the most part. Scrapes and bruises, nothing major."

I was itching to get out of the bed. I couldn't just lay there much longer.

"Then can I leave?"

"Well if you hold your damn horses, I'll go get your nurse." Paul stood and started to leave, but stopped right at the door. "Don't pull that IV out of your arm," he warned.

After he was gone, that just made me want to take it out because of spite. But I decided against it.

Paul soon came back with a short, blonde nurse. She was cute, I guess. Not my type. But I wasn't in the business of looking for girls any more. My type was Kat. And not only was this woman not Kat, she didn't look anything like her. The whole thing just kept making me more mad. I wanted to see my fiance.

"Hi!" she checked her clipboard as Paul took a seat. Much too chipper for my tastes at the moment. "Mister Hickenbottom. You hit your head pretty hard, enough to knock yourself out. You were unconscious when the ambulances arrived. I'd just like to ask you a few questions to make sure you don't have any brain damage or memory loss. 'Kay?" Her smile was just about as bright as the overhead lights.

"'Kay, do you know where you are?" I was sure that if she would have had bubble gum, she'd be popping it.

"The hospital?" I gave her a dumb expression. Duh.

"Mhm. 'Kay, do you know what state we're in?"

My blood was boiling hotter with every second she was speaking. Something about her was just pissing me off.