Chapter 27: Everything Will Be Okay

-----
Kat's POV
-----

I sat twirling my ring around on my finger. It dazzled in the light; I was still so amazed by it. I couldn't believe Shawn had gotten it for me. I still couldn't believe Shawn had proposed to me.

"How do you feel about having kids?" I asked. My mind was wandering.

Shawn raised an eyebrow. "Do you have something to tell me? Because I might have to go. I'm thinking as far as possible. Australia." He was joking.

"No. But I'm serious."

"Well, yeah, eventually. I'd love to have kids." I brightened. "Years and years from now," he answered. My heart sank again.

"How many years?" I asked.

"I was thinking after I retired. When I have kids, I want to actually be there."

I got that. After all, I knew better than anyone how it was to grow up with a dad on the road all the time. It wasn't fun. "Oh. Okay."

"Why are you asking me all this?"

I shrugged. "I guess this just got me thinking." I held up my hand, showing him the ring.

"Ah... that, huh?"

"Yep," I told him. I brought my hand back down and started playing with it again. It was a mindless act, but it was also calming. "How long have you had this?"

"Awhile. I couldn't make myself ask until now. Paul had to basically promise to kick my ass if I didn't man up and ask." He admitted. "I was going to ask at Thanksgiving. I was going to ask your Dad for his permission, actually. I thought it would make him, y'know, like me. But you know how that went."

"I don't care what Dad would have thought," I replied bitterly. "I would marry you tomorrow if he said I couldn't."

He gasped and pulled his phone from his pocket. "I have to call Vince!" he exclaimed dramatically, pretending to dial him up.

I rolled my eyes. "Stop it." But I just couldn't help but smile.

"Aw, come on, Kat. That was good."

"I don't want to talk about my dad. Even if we are joking."

"You're going to have to see him eventually. We kinda work for him," he replied.

"Until then, I prefer to think he doesn't exist," I insisted. "I would much rather talk about your family. Which I still haven't met, by the way," I teased.

"I don't want to jinx it," he answered.

I nearly burst out laughing. "What?"

"You know what happened last time I brought a girl home."

"Shawn, it's not a curse," I told him. "You do know that, right? It's just your family."

"You don't know that. You don't Mama," he assured me. "Oh, boy."

"Come on, she can't be that bad. I bet my family is worse. My mom hated your outfit but didn't even have the guts to say it," I argued.

"She liked my outfit. She made a 'hmm' noise!"

"That means she hates it. But don't worry, she hated mine too. And she hated Steph's, because I chose it. My mother and I have very different tastes."

He sighed. "Fine, maybe your family is worse. But mine would at least give them a run for their money. My brothers would overwhelm you. And you wouldn't even know what to do with Mama and my sister."