Chapter 8: You're A Good Man, Paul

We all heard the mumblings backstage. People were pissed about what we'd done at In Your House. Everyone was shooting us dirty looks as we passed. Not like they didn't before, but still. It wasn't a good feeling.

Paul was called down to Dad's office. We bade him goodluck. Shawn and I were supposed to go to our locker room, but I told him I had to use the bathroom and instead sat outside Dad's office door.

"I know I initially gave you the go ahead with what happened, but know it's out there and if I just let it go by without saying something, it'd be chaos. There has to be a punishment," I heard Dad say. I could just imagine him leaning against his desk, not wanting to do what he had to.

"I understand, sir," Paul answered.

"You're going to being eating a lot of shit for a long time."

I didn't want to stay there at the door for multiple reasons. For one, Shawn would be worried about me. I'd been gone a little too long. For another, I couldn't stand the pain of hearing Paul have to take on all the punishment by himself. But there wasn't any way around it. Kev and Scott were gone, Kid wasn't there, Shawn was champion, and me... well, I was me. Dad wasn't going to punish me. But he might if he discovered me lurking outside his door, which was my last reason to scurry back to the locker room.

Shawn motioned for me to come sit with him. I guess my emotions were showing on my face too much, because he asked what was wrong.

"I just feel so bad for Paul." My gut twisted. "He's getting all the heat while we just sit here in perfect happiness."

"Perfect happiness?"

"Well, yeah," I admitted. "We're here together. We have no pressure on us." I paused. "I'm happy. Beneath all my sympathy. Aren't you?"

He looked at me as if the idea of being asked if he was happy was a whole new world. He seemed taken back that I'd thought to ask. "...of course I'm happy." He didn't seem all that sure.

I gave him a look.

"I am. Look," he gestured around, "I've got my job, my best friend, and I've got my kitten." He kissed my forehead, making me melt.

"Kitten, huh?"

He did that little smirk that gave me chills. "Well, Kat's too formal, in my opinion."

"Oh really?"

We dissolved into kisses. Which dissolved into a make out session. I couldn't help it. Shawn's hands were on my waist, my back, in my hair. I was straddling him at that point, too head over heels to care.

Paul opening the door startled us both. I leapt off Shawn immediately, embarassed. I don't know why I was so ashamed. I just didn't like being with Shawn like that in front of other people. It made me uneasy. I tried straightening my hair and clothes, but it was no use. I tried to rush over to ask Paul what happened, but Shawn pulled me back down, locking his arms around my waist. I was uncomfortable, but I just let it be.

"Paul, I'm so sorry you're taking all of this. Trust me, if I thought there was any way of making my dad see reason, I'd be there right now. What did he say?" I rambled, trying to shake off the blush I was sure was growing across my cheeks.

Paul either didn't notice what we'd been doing, or he didn't care. He sat down in a folding chair across from us sighed deeply. "They're aborting my entire push."

I gasped, the same time Shawn exclaimed, "Shittt."

"I know." Paul ran a hand through his hair. "I'm going to be eating shit for a long time, so I might as well learn to like it."