Chapter 7: This Is Bullshit

May 19, 1996

Once we finally decided to become a thing, Shawn always wanted to be touching me. Not in a sexual way; the man was just starved for human attention. If we weren't holding hands, his arm was either around my shoulder or my waist. If we were sitting, he would either cuddle into me or pull me onto his lap. Not that I minded, of course. I thought it was cute.

It got worse when he found out Scott and big Kev were leaving. He began to cling to me like I was the last thing he had left; like he was afraid if he didn't, I was going to leave too.

Kev wasn't wrong, either; he did throw a huge fit. It'd taken us hours to calm him down.

Scott dealt cards as Shawn sat on the small couch next to him, pulling me down onto his lap. Paul and Kev sat on the other side of the card table in folding chairs.

We were at the famous Madison Square Garden for an In Your House house show.

"What about strip poker?" Scott suggested, grinning at his own joke.

"No!" I groaned as I grabbed my cards. They laughed at that.

"Why not?"

"Because I'll lose!" I protested. Shawn chuckled.

"Well, I will have you know, Shawn is fucking terrible at strip poker," Scott told me, sending a wink my way.

I laughed heartily. Scott always made me laugh. I couldn't believe he was leaving.

Shawn whispered something in my ear about which cards to play. I did what he said and won the round.

"What the hell? I thought you were shit at this," Paul grumbled.

"They're cheating, moron," Kev told him, laughing.

"What do you mean?" I asked innocently.

"He can totally see your cards!" Kev exclaimed.

"No, I can't," Shawn commented. "...I can only see half of them." He smirked at our friends.

Paul slid onto Kev's lap. "Hey, help me out here," he joked. Kev shoved him off onto the floor. Paul landed with a thud and we all laughed at his antics.

Shawn set his chin on my shoulder, locking his arms around my waist. Paul sat back in his chair. Scott gathered the cards into a proper deck and began to shuffle them again. The air in the room was nearly palpable with the weight of it being Kev and Scott's last day in the company. They were headed to WCW in the morning. Everyone avoided the subject, but there was no avoiding the elephant in the room.

"Man, we need to learn some new card games," Scott muttered.

I expected someone to shoot off a smartass comment, but no one did. We were all just taking in the fact that it was Scott and Kev's last night. There wasn't really going to be a chance to learn any new card games.

Scott regretted saying it, realizing he had just sucked all the air out of the room. He cleared his throat. "Alright, who's in?"

Kev slammed a hand on the table. "This is bullshit."

"It's just poker, man."

"Not the damn cards! The fact that it's our last night and we aren't getting a proper send off. The fact that you two--" he pointed at Scott and Paul, "--won't even be out there when we close the show."

No one seemed to have any comments on this, so I piped up. "You could talk to Dad. He listens to you guys. Maybe you could talk him into something," I offered.

Kev pointed a finger at me. "Yes. At least someone's pulling their weight around here."

Shawn chuckled into my shoulder as Scott got mock offended by the comment. "Hey, I deal!" He held up the deck of cards as evidence.

A round of laughter erupted before everything turned serious again.

Kev looked at me. "Can you get us an audience with your dad?"

I shook my head. "No chance. But this one can," I replied, resting my head on Shawn's.

Kev simply smiled as Shawn tried to protest. "Great."

***

Shawn looked like he was going to break at any moment. His family was leaving him; Scott and Kev were jumping ship, and Kid was in rehab. It was hard.

I squeezed his hand, trying to reassure him, but he didn't look my direction. He continued staring at the curtain until his music hit.

As usual, as soon as we walked onto the stage, Shawn left his baggage behind him. He became animated and lively, gesturing to the roaring crowd. He held his championship in one hand and my hand in the other. He twirled me around once before leading me on down to the ring. Kev was there already; the challenger always makes their entrance first.

The ring was surrounded by an enormous blue cage. I never felt smaller than in the moment I stepped through the cage door and into the ring. I smiled behind Shawn as he posed, gave him a good luck kiss, and then I had to leave the cage and stand around the outside.

The bell rang to start the match. Kev and Shawn gave it their all, knowing full well it could be their last time competing against each other. I cheered for Shawn from the outside, acting my Miss Elizabeth roll to a T.

Shawn won the match, retaining the title, just as planned. After all, my dad would never let someone leave to our rival company with one of our championship belts.

The referee allowed me back inside to celebrate with Shawn. He scooped me up and twirled me around, taking me by surprise. He set one hand firmly around my waist and the other lifted his title high into the air. He then walked over to a "passed out" Kev and kissed him.

The crowd went crazy as Scott, in full Razor gear, walked down to the ring. He engulfed both Shawn and I into a hug. Paul came down only moments later, throwing up the Kliq sign before joining us. Kev "woke up" and wrapped his arms around all of us. It was a sweaty mass of emotion; friends turned family.

I wiped tears away as the boys stood in a line, holding hands and lifting them into the sky. A proper send-off was all Kev asked for, and a proper send-off was what he got. All of us in the ring together.

The next thing I knew, I was being hoisted up on Kev's shoulder. I squealed in surprise, but the boys just laughed. I felt like the tallest person on Earth: Kev was an absolute tower.

The boys all raised Kliq signs into the air. I thought what the hell, and did the same. But I still kept one hand latched onto Kev so I wouldn't fall.

All of a sudden, Kev dropped me. On purpose! My life flashed before my eyes; I was petrified.

Shawn caught me, smirking in amusement.

"Not funny!" I told them, squirming out of Shawn's arms.

The boys cracked up laughing at me. "Oh come on, babe, that was good," Shawn commented.

"I don't like you guys," I replied.

The chuckled again and climbed the various corners of the ring to pose once more. I smiled and waved as well. Finally we left the ring and walked backstage together as a sort of pack.

Dad was there. "That wasn't what I was expecting," he told us.

"Yeah, we got a little carried away once we got out there," Shawn said, brushing it off.

But I saw the look in Dad's eyes. I saw the angry people around us. I felt the tension in the air as soon as we reached Gorilla.

I knew there would be consequences. This wasn't good.

-----
-A/N-
The infamous Curtain Call! Scott and Kev are no longer going to be with WWF, but they're still a part of Kat's life, don't worry! But, oh dear, what about the consequences?