Chapter 14: Do You Ever Think... What If?

-----
Kat's POV
-----

I was finishing curling my hair when I heard three knocks on the hotel door. As I currently was holding a very hot curler next to my head, I didn't exactly jump up to go get it.

"Shawn--"

"Got it!" he called back. I heard him open the door and stop in his tracks. "Please say you aren't here for me."

I put the curler down and unplugged it, finally finished with the last curl. I left the bathroom to see who had arrived, since Shawn was never speechless. I squealed when I saw my old friend waiting there for me.

"Sarah!" I exclaimed, rushing over to give her a welcoming hug. Her brown locks were curled just like mine, and she was wearing a really cute top. Her eyes sparkled like I remembered.

"You called, I came," she said as we parted. Her smile must have been as wide as mine. Sarah always smiled from her eyes.

Shawn was leaning against the open door, understandably confused. He just looked at me, expecting some sort of explanation.

"Come in," I told Sarah. She followed me into the room, and Shawn shut the door behind her. "This is my boyfriend Shawn, and that over there is Paul. Guys, this is my old friend, Sarah McKinnon," I introduced.

"So... you're both Sarah," Shawn commented.

We both giggled. "Actually, Sarah is part of the reason I started going by Katherine," I explained. "We've known each other since... what, fourth grade?"

"Third," Sarah helped. "When I moved into the school district. I'd never even been to Connecticut, but you invited me to come sit with you."

I grinned, remembering that time. "Thank you. I couldn't think of what year it was. I've been trying to think of it all day. Third grade. That's what, eleven years now? That's crazy!"

Sarah nodded, laughing along with me. We were so giddy seeing each other again after so long. We hadn't met up since I was still in college. But when I saw we were in town, I thought I'd give her a call and we could go out and about. We used to be inseparable.

Shawn and Paul both came over and shook Sarah's hand, saying it was nice to meet her.

"Steph will be here any minute, and then we can head out," I told her, grabbing my purse. "We'll be back sometime this afternoon," I added, talking more to Paul and Shawn this time.

A couple knocks on the door sounded, announcing Steph's arrival. Shawn opened the door and let her in since he was closest. Steph and Sarah greeted each other happily. I was so excited to hang out as the three of us again, like we used to in high school.

Steph and Sarah walked out into the hall. I was going to follow them after saying goodbye to Shawn.

"Have fun," Shawn told us. "We'll be here staring at the wall for the next few hours."

"You're just bitter because you're not invited," I replied, giving him a short kiss.

"And why is that again?" he asked, wrapping his arms around my waist to prevent me from walking away. I knew this game: he didn't want me to leave.

"Because you are not a girl," I told him. He drew his face closer to mine and lingered against my lips. I wanted to stay there forever, but I had to go.

"The girls are waiting," I breathed.

"So let them wait," he said. "I love you more."

I wiggled out of his grip. "I love you too. But we could play this game all day, and I have to go." I sent him one more smile before shutting the door behind me.