Chapter 23: I Love You Most

-----
Kat's POV
-----

"I don't know, man. I mean, am I sure about this?"

I walked into the bedroom, where Shawn was talking on the phone. I was running a brush through my hair. "Sure about what?"

"I'll talk to you later, brother. Yeah, love ya too." He hung up the phone before turning to me. "Nothing."

Hmm. "Who was on the phone?"

"Just the boys. Scott, Kev. Kid," he answered, shrugging. He was playing this all off so nonchalantly. He was hiding something from me.

I pretended to pout. "And they didn't want to talk to me?"

"Oh, you know them. Busy. Probably on their third round of drinks. The usual."

"Mhm..." I set the brush on the nightstand, sitting down and cuddling into him. "Well, that sure does sound like them." He was an awful liar.

"Don't worry about it. You can catch them next time," he told me.

Next time was going to be very soon if I couldn't figure out what was going on. I didn't like being kept in the dark.

"Michael Shawn, what are you hiding?" I knew he was going to hate me for that.

"I told you, it's nothing, Sarah Katherine," he retorted, mocking my tone.

"Alright, fine. Don't tell me. I'm just your girlfriend, after all. Not like I tell you everything or take care of you or anything..." I teased.

He groaned. "Why do you make it so hard to surprise you?"

I perked up. "So it's a surprise for me?"

He opened his mouth to say something, but then shut it and started again. "You cheated."

I just smiled up at him. "What do you mean?"

"I'm onto you, McMahon. You're not as innocent as everyone thinks you are," Shawn commented.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I replied, smirking.

"Whatever." He pulled my face into his. I wanted to enjoy the kiss, but I knew he was just distracting me.

I pulled away, much to his displeasure. "So what's my surprise?"

Shawn groaned again. "If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise."

I was thinking of different ways to make him confess to me when my stomach started having a damn seizure. The nasea hit me so quickly. I had to leap up from the bed immediately to make it to the bathroom. After I released the contents of my stomach into the toilet, I rinsed my mouth in the sink.

Shawn was standing in the doorway, leaning against the frame. He was watching me with his concerned look on his face.

"I still think we should take you to the hospital. You could have a virus or something," he told me.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. I was tired of this argument. I was fine. "If I had a virus, don't you think you were have it, too? We spend every waking moment together. It's probably just some food poisoning, or something."

"Don't you think if it was food poisoning, I would have it, too? Since we eat the same meals?" He used my own argument against me. Dammit.

I sighed. "Fine. If it keeps up much longer, we can go see the doctor. Happy?"

He nodded as I started brushing my teeth. I finished and joined him on the bed again.

It was sweet that he was all worried about me, but I really was fine. There was nothing wrong with me except the occasional nasea. It was definitely something I could live with.

"It's probably just stress about Thanksgiving," I muttered, leaning against his chest.

He sighed. "Kat, have you considered the idea that your dad might actually be happy for us?"

I shook my head. "Not a chance. I mean, I wish. I really hope. But it just doesn't make sense. I mean, he's been against it for months. Ever since we first met. I swear, he would have broken us up by now if he thought he could get away with it. Then out of the blue, he invites us to Thanksgiving dinner. I just don't get it."

Shawn chuckled into my hair. "And you didn't become a lawyer... why?"

"I'm serious," I replied. My nerves were going haywire, and here he was making fun of me.

"Don't worry about it. We are going to have a great time. Your dad is going to be nice, I am going to be on my best behavior, I'll even make small talk with your mom, Steph will be there, Shane and I will throw punches down by the pool..."

I couldn't help but laugh, letting out a breath as I did so. I didn't even know I'd been holding it. He knew just how to make me feel better.

"What did I say about fighting my brother?" I questioned.

"Okay, so leave the last part out. But the rest of it, totally going to happen. You're going to look gorgeous and have a fanatic time. Okay?"

"Okay," I relented. I took a deep breath. "Thank you, Shawn. I love you."

"I love you more."

"No you don't."

"You messed it up," he told me. "You were supposed to say 'I love you most' like those people in that chick flick you made me watch the other day."

I raised an eyebrow. "You actually watched it? I thought you weren't paying attention."

"I watched part of it. What? I can be sappy every once in a while."

I just shook my head, smiling. "I love you most." I really did.

-----
-A/N-
Hey look, it's me, back at it again with not posting my chapters until like midweek. I'm sorry. But hey, you all can look forward to next week, the Thanksgiving chapter!!