Chapter 19: Have I Ever Let You Down?

-----
Kat's POV
-----

"Hey Dad," I greeted, waving slightly. I stood a distance away from him, because I was slightly scared he invited me out there so he could push me into the pool.

Dad had this reoccurring rib about inviting people over just so he could push them into the pool. He thought it was hilarious. Admittedly, it was pretty funny to watch. But I was not up for a swim.

"Take a seat, Katherine." He took a sip of his... whatever he was drinking. I didn't ask, I didn't want to know.

I did as he asked and sat next to him. "So, I'm dry, which is good. But it leaves me questioning as to why you invited me out here." Maybe he was just biding his time.

Dad laughed. "I'm not going to push you in. I invited you home to talk about you and Shawn."

I groaned. "Alright, I guess I'm leaving." I half-joked, starting to stand. I was so done with talking about me and Shawn.

He waved his hand. "Sit down. I'm not angry."

"...Then what are talking about?" I was genuinely curious and terrified.

"I wanted to tell you... I'm happy for you."

I think my eyes actually popped out of my head. There was no way in hell my father just said that. "What?" I whispered, mostly to myself.

"I know, I know, not what you were expecting. But I've had months to debate it. I see the way you look at him, Katherine. You're happy. That's all I want from you." He had to be lying just to make me feel better.

"This is a joke, right?" I asked.

"No joke. I realize that my opinion obviously isn't going to change your mind, so I say, what the hell?" He declared, taking another drink. My new theory: he was drunk. Something.

"Thank you?" It was almost a question.

He nodded. We both looked up as Shane walked over, sitting in the pool chair next to mine.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

He looked at me in mock shock. "Do I need an excuse to come talk to my sister and my father?"

I gave him a look. Of course he did.

"Alright, fine. I heard Shawn's name and I had to come join the conversation," he told me.

"Are you going to congratulate me too?" I raised an eyebrow. This was all weird. I wished Shawn had come with me instead of dropping me off. I felt like my family was cornering me.

"The opposite, actually. I wanted to tell you that the next time I see that boyfriend of yours, I'm going to fight him."

"You are not!" I exclaimed.

"Watch me."

"You are not going to fight Shawn!"

"Why not?"

"First off, because he's my boyfriend. And second off, because one of two things happening; either Shawn will fight you back and you'll both get fucked up, or he won't fight you at all. I don't like either option," I replied.

"Did my little sister just cuss?" he questioned.

"Yes." Then I mouthed to him, so Dad couldn't see, "Fuck you."

Dad attempted to bring the peace. "Alright, alright. No one is going to fight anyone under my roof. How about this, Katherine: you invite Shawn to Thanksgiving dinner in a couple months. A sort of peace offering."

I nodded. As if I hadn't been planning on bringing him anyway. "Thank you. As long as you're all civil." I shot a glare at Shane.

"He made you cry. C'mon, Kat," Shane defended.

"That was so long ago! All couples fight. We're better now. No more punching my boyfriend," I argued back.

"Fine," he muttered.

***

Shawn came back to pick me up in a few hours. He gave me a look as I sat in the passenger seat.

"What?"

"You're dry," he pointed out.

"He didn't end up pushing me in." I shrugged as he drove out of the driveway and onto the road.

"Then what did he want to talk about?" Shawn asked.

I sat and thought of how to explain. I wasn't even sure myself what the answer to that question was.

"Babe?"

"...how would you like to be date to the McMahon family Thanksgiving?" I forced a smile. I knew there was no way this could end out well, but hey, might as well try.

"Is this a trap?"

I threw my hands in the air. "I don't even know. Maybe? Knowing my family, probably. Dad said he was happy for us, but I kind of think he was lying. And Shane has this whole twisted idea of the two of you coming to blows. Mom just keeps giving me her disappointed look. I just don't know what's going on."

"Shhh..." Shawn took my left hand in his free one and brought it to his lips. "I'd love to go to Thanksgiving with you, Kat. We'll figure it out."

"I hope so."

"Have I let you down yet?" he asked.

"Well..." I teased, pretending to think long and hard about it. "There was of course that time, and the time before that, and just last week--"

"Okay, okay. This time, though, I mean it."

I nodded. I believed him. He would be fine. Shawn wasn't who I was worried about. I was much more worried about what my family was going to say or do. Dad was exactly known for his level-headed-ness, which was another reason his sudden mood change scared me.

"Babeee," Shawn drew out the word. "You keep staring off into space. I asked if Steph was home."

I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts. Thank God for Shawn, honestly. He was trying to get my mind off the situation.

"Yeah," I muttered. "Steph was my saving grace. She told them I had a stomach bug so I didn't have to come down and eat lunch with everyone. A Godsend, really," I explained. It worked, I started thinking about other things.

"Did I tell you what happened the other day with her? I feel like I did. No? Okay, well..."

Shawn let me ramble on, which was really what I needed at the moment. I don't know how he knew, but he did.

I just hoped Thanksgiving day would be okay.

-----
-A/N-
It's technically Monday now but who cares! Gahh don't be a procrastinator, friends. To make it up to you, I'll try to have next week's up early. Next week's chapter is Halloween, so get hyped!!