Chapter 48: I Don't Belong Here

[Shawn]

Mama greeted both Kat and I at the door with firm hugs. She told us it had been too long since she'd since us in person. I agreed.

The holidays were her favorite part of the year. Mama ruled the roost, and she loved forcing us to all spend time together.

"Shawn's here!" she yelled back into the house, presumably to my father.

"Are you going to invite us in, or are you just going to leave us out here in the cold?" I joked.

Kat giggled beside me as Mama finally let us in. She wore a red sweater that was probably overkill for winter in Texas. She was still used to the weather up north.

"Relax," I whispered to her. She nodded and let out a large breath. "My family loves you."

"I know, I just... it's really happening, isn't it? This time next year, I'll he here as your wife. And I'll be here with your family every year."

I grinned down at her. "They'll be your family too."

I knew she was happy, but the realization was too much. She had that look in her eye. Hoping to steer her away from over-thinking it all again, I changed the subject.

"Come on, let's go join everyone. I'm starving. And Mama makes the best turkey."

Luckily Kat settled down once we all sat around the table. I tried my best to put her at ease. She pushed and pushed for us to start planning the wedding, but now that we were, she kept thinking about it too much. She was letting the whole marriage thing get to her head.

Everything was "I'm going to be your wife" or "You're going to be my husband" or "We're going to be doing this thing forever".

I didn't see the big deal. As far as I was concerned, Kat and I weren't going to change. I loved her now and I would in twenty years when we were married. The only thing that would change would be her name.

Scott and Randy had their own girlfriends with them. They were nice enough, I guess. Kat had a good time chatting with them. When she wasn't being hounded by my older brothers about us, the teasing bastards.

Shari ruffled my hair before she sat down, messing it all up. She only laughed when I whined. Kat joined her, fixing it (or attempting to) for me. I just watched her as she ran her fingers through my hair, still giggling.

There really was something about this woman.

My dad sat at the head of the table, stoicly watching us catch up and asking Randy about his new job.

Mama brought out the food she'd worked so hard on and we all dug in.

At some point, the topic of conversation once again turned to Kat and I.

"When are you finally going to tie the knot?" Shari asked, glancing at Kat from my other side.

I laced my fingers in Kat's. "We're thinking sometime in May." I looked back at Kat to make sure. "Right?"

She nodded. "Obviously you're all invited." This got some chuckles from my brothers and especially from Shari, who had taken a particular liking to Kat.

"Five months isn't a very long time to plan," my father warned. "Are you sure you want to have it that soon?"

"We decided we've waited long enough," I answered. "We'll have it done. We don't want anything too big anyway."

"Oh, come on, pretty boy. No fireworks?" Scott joked.

"Nope." I rolled my eyes at him. Were Mama not at the other end of the table watching, I would have flipped him off.