Chapter 42: Enjoy It While You Can

-----
Kat's POV
-----

It was the day our group would finally be formed on-screen; Rick and Chyna would be joining Shawn, Paul, and I. I knew I should be excited, but my gut was still twisting in knots.

Shawn and I hadn't talked much since our fight. Anything important, we directed at Paul instead of each other. It tore me apart, but in the same token, I wasn't just giving into him so easily again. I was upset, and had a right to be so. He needed to get the picture, and he wouldn't if I just forgave him every time.

I was sitting by myself backstage, trying to process all of my thoughts and feelings. I hated hiding in corners all alone, but it was the best option. All of my feelings were collapsing in on me, and if I stayed around Shawn, I was eventually going to give in.

I didn't want to talk about those feelings, either. Typically I would talk to Steph, or Paul, or Mark, but I wasn't feeling it. Sitting alone made my mind feel the clearest.

I was not, in any way, shape, or form, expecting a particular blonde to come bouncing into my path.

"Hi," Sunny greeted, like we were old friends.

I was never one to be rude, however, so I returned the hello.

"Mind if I sit here?" I did, very much so, but she took a seat anyway. I was too polite to make her leave.

I would have been alright if she would have just stayed quiet, or maybe talked about menial things like the colors of our nails. But, unfortunately, she had other plans.

"Problems with Shawn?" she whispered. I was too shocked by the accuracy of the question to do anything but nod.

She sighed softly, leaning her head back against the wall. "Yeah, I remember those times."

"You do?"

"Oh, yeah," she said, "All the time. He would fight with me constantly." She paused, "Oh, but I'm sure you two don't have that much trouble. You're in love." I really didn't like the way she said it.

I wasn't sure what about Shawn and I made us seem like we wouldn't have troubles, but the fact that it was the opposite just made me feel worse. Maybe we did have way too many problems.

"Sorry, I must've hit a nerve. Am I wrong?" she asked.

I really just wanted her to shut up and go away, but something kept me glued to my seat. "No. Shawn and I are fine."

I wasn't giving her the satisfaction of meeting her gaze. "Sure, doll. That's why you're back here, sitting in a corner all by yourself. I sit by myself all the time when I'm happy."

"So what?" I pouted. She was right, and she knew it.

This was probably the last person on Earth I wanted to talk to about problems with Shawn, but at the same time she was the only person I knew who had similar experiences. Maybe she knew better than I did.

"Look, -Kat, right?- I've been in your shoes, and I just want to make sure you don't end up like I did. Girls look out for girls, you know?"

Maybe she wasn't as bad as I was made to believe. I didn't really know Sunny except for what I heard. I knew better than some that rumors can be deceiving.

Sunny placed a hand on my shoulder, and I let her. "I'm just looking out for your sake. You seem like a sweet little girl. Well take it from me, Shawn takes sweet little girls and breaks their hearts."

I just sat in silence, nodding along. There was really nothing for me to say.

"We were pretty happy, for a while. At least that's what I thought. Then you came along, no offense, and he dropped me like yesterday's trend. The sad thing was, I thought he loved me."

Would Shawn leave me for a new girl? My heart said no, but if he had done it to Sunny, what made me any different?

"I... I didn't know you were together," I told her. I hadn't meant to steal him from her. If I would have known, I would have backed off.

How weird would that be? I would be in a totally different place if I hadn't started dating Shawn.

"Oh, you wouldn't, because he didn't like telling people about us. I was his ass on the side, even though he didn't have a main," she responded bitterly. "He was ashamed of me, like he was somehow better than me."

Wow. These were all things I had never heard about Shawn. But why did they all seem so plausible?

"Then he met you, and I guess you were somehow better than me, because he came to me and told me we were done. He wouldn't even tell me why. I had to find out on my own that is was because he found a new, shinier toy." Was that me? A toy?

"Oh," I breathed out.

"Of course, that's not your fault." She sighed again. "That's just Shawn."

It was not. Shawn wasn't like that. Or was he? I didn't know anymore. I didn't know anything.

"But I'm sure he's not like that with you. This is probably the first big fight you've had. You're the one, after all." She motioned to my ring. "I mean, he did give you that. Which is something that was never even an option for me."

I was close to tears, and I had feeling she knew. "Why? Why are you telling me all this? I don't understand. You said it yourself, I'm the reason you're not with Shawn right now. You have every reason to hate me."

She shrugged. "Like I said, I'm looking out for you. I just want to make sure you enjoy it while you can, because soon enough we'll be in the same boat. You can try to deny it all you want, but I know Shawn. And so do you. I can see it in your eyes, you know I'm right."

I just shook my head, not even having words. I was definitely crying.

"Oh, Katherine," she gave me a hug, which I didn't have the willpower to shy away from. "I hope I'm wrong, but..." She stood. "Hopefully you're the one he really changes for."

She finally left me to sit with my own thoughts. Maybe it was just me, but she didn't exactly seem like she really hoped she was wrong.

-----
-A/N-
I know yall are all crying/yelling rn and probably don't want the lols but I found some gifs for this chapter:

------A/N-I know yall are all crying/yelling rn and probably don't want the lols but I found some gifs for this chapter:

Sunny on her way to fuck up Kat's self esteem

Kat believing all her bullshit