Chapter 11: I'm Not Afraid of Sunny

After a few hours of nightmare-plagued sleep, I heard a couple knocks on my old door. "Kat?" a voice called. It was Shane. He sounded a lot more calmed down.

"Go away," I grumbled, half-awake.

"I'm not here to yell at you, Kat. I talked to Mom, she says I was too hard on you. I think so too," he said, softer.

I unlocked the door for him. He closed it behind him as he walked in, sitting on the edge of my bed. "What happened?" he finally asked. "All Steph said was that you called her, crying, saying you and Shawn had a fight."

I sighed. "There wasn't really a fight. He... he told me he had sex with Sunny. Last week. While I sat and talked to his best friend, waiting for him..." I couldn't continue because I was getting choked up. I'd been trying to hold this all in since the moment I'd gotten in the car, but I couldn't anymore. The floodgates were wide open.

"Shane, why..." I couldn't even form a question through the sobs that racked my body.

Shane, bring the good older brother he could be, wrapped his arms around me to comfort me. "Shh... Sari it's okay." I just buried my head in his chest as I cried.

"What's wrong with me, Shay? Why wasn't I good enough?" I mumbled. I couldn't understand.

Shane pulled me tighter to him. "Shhh..." he cooed. "I'll set him straight."

I pulled away immediately. "No," I shook my head. "No, don't... don't do anything to him."

"Kat, look what he's done to you," he argued.

I shook my head again. I couldn't form the words I wanted. I didn't want Shawn punished. I hated him, but I loved him. It was irrational and it didn't make sense but that was how I felt. I wanted to scream at him but at the same time, I just wanted his arms wrapped around me again.

I cried until I couldn't cry anymore. Shane stayed with me, thankfully. It started getting late. Mom called us down for an early dinner.

I sat silently at the table, staring down at my food. I didn't think I could eat anything.

"Katherine, you've barely touched your food," Mom noticed. She had a concerned tone in her voice.

"I'm... not hungry," I muttered, pushing my peas around on my plate.

Shane cleared his throat. "You should really eat something. Have you even eaten today?"

I had. Or maybe I hadn't. I couldn't remember.

"Maybe it would be best, Shane, if you and Katherine went to the show tonight," Mom offered.

I perked up. "Really?"

She nodded. I thanked her like three times, gave her a hug, and went to change my clothes and makeup.

***

Shane drove us to the arena. He refused to leave my side until we found Shawn. I tried to tell him I would be fine on my own, but he really didn't care.

When we did find Shawn backstage, I felt a twist in my gut. He looked so guilt-ridden. He tried to start saying something, but Shane walked right up to him and punched him in the nose.

"Shane!" I exclaimed.

"That's for Katherine, because I know she won't do it," Shane announced. He gave us one more look before walking away.

I raced over to Shawn. "Oh God, are you okay? I told him not to--"

"I'm fine, Kat, really," he told me. He straightened himself. "Guess I deserved that, huh?"

"Damn right," I replied. I let out a heavy sigh. "Can we just... skip to the part where we're okay again and you're kissing me?" I asked desperately.

He placed a hand on either side of my waist and gently pushed me away. "As much as I would love that, we can't. I have way too much to say."

I settled in for what I assumed was going to be a more serious talk than I had ever thought I'd have with Shawn.

He scratched the back of his neck nervously as he let out a sigh and gathered his thoughts. "Listen, I've been thinking about this all day. I... fuck, this is harder than I thought."

"Just start from the beginning," I offered, trying to help the best I could.

"Yeah, alright." He took a deep breath. "So when I was in high school, I met this girl. Her name was Theresa, and somehow we started dating. Mama thought it was cute or whatever, so we kept dating. I never really felt anything for her, I mean, not like what I feel when I'm with you. Um, it was young love and I was dumb. One year Mama suggested I get Theresa a ring for Christmas. I didn't know what that meant, so I did. She said yes to marrying me and... well, it was too late to back out at that point. We got married, but I was on the road all the time, y'know, and she didn't like it. We grew apart, and eventually we got divorced.

"How long ago?" I asked, trying to keep him talking so he could get to the point.

"One... maybe two years ago." He shifted his weight and leaned against the wall behind him. "I've been with all sorts of girls since then... like Sunny. But... they never mean anything to me. And when I say "been with" I mean been with. But then I look at you, and--"

He was getting all flustered, so I stopped him. "Shawn... are you trying to tell me that you love me?" I questioned.

He nodded without thinking, probably grateful I'd said it for him. For someone who liked to talk so much, he wasn't the best with wording his thoughts.

"Uh, yeah. I guess I am." He looked down at me, right into my eyes. "I... love you, Kat," he confessed.

"...I love you too," I finally whispered. It was true. I loved him more than I thought was possible. I never really used to believe in love, let alone love at first sight, but with Shawn, I'd believe anything.

"I... I forgive you," I told him. I thought it was something he needed to hear. "Sunny... she's been talking shit ever since she got here. But... I'm not afraid of Sunny."

He was so taken back by everything I  said, all he could do was sit there and stare at me. He didn't know where to go from there.

I hesitated before shortening the distance between us and softly laying my lips against his. My heart was beating like a drum; I thought it was going to pop out if my chest. When he returned the kiss and I felt those sparks fly through me, I knew there was no way I was getting rid of this man. The man I loved.

-----
-A/N-
They are the cutest. I can't breathe right now. Hands down my favorite couple I've ever written.
Also, I posted on time with my new schedule! Yay me :)