Chapter 44: Who Are You?

-----
Shawn's POV
-----

Kat swatted my arm. "Be nice!" she whispered. She had only told me that about a thousand times.

I shrugged her off again, rolling my eyes. She could be as sweet as she wanted, but I wasn't going to put on any act.

She shook her head at me and greeted the next fan with a big-ass smile. Kat just had it in her nature to be nice. I didn't.

I signed something for them and moved on, earning more disapproval from Kat. She didn't tell me to be nice that time. I guess she gave up.

When there was a break in the flow of fans, however, she laid into my ass.

I took a drink of water, trying not to meet her eyes. I knew I was in for it. If it wasn't one thing, it was another.

"What's your problem today?" Kat asked.

"I don't have a problem."

"You're being a dick."

"That's just me," I told her. "I am a dick."

She shook her head. "And who are you? Shawn Hickenbottom? Or Shawn Michaels?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

She shot me a look that screamed, "you know exactly what that's supposed to mean".

"I'm me, Kat. I don't need your philosophical bullshit today."

"Are you the Shawn I know, or are you the asshole Shawn on TV?"

"I'm both."

"That's what I'm afraid of. You keep becoming more and more like your character. That's not the Shawn I know," she said.

"Okay, so maybe the line gets a little blurred. What's the big deal?" If she could just get off my case, that'd be great. This was not a day I'd put in the "good" column.

"The big deal is, when I fell in love with Shawn Hickenbottom, I didn't expect Shawn Michaels to be part of the deal."

"Well, look, you got both, okay?" I snapped.

Paul tried getting our attention. He wasn't listening up until that point. I tried to just ignore him.

"I don't want both. That's not you, Shawn."

"Guys-"

"Dammit, Kat, will you just let me be?" I was a bit louder and harsher than I wanted to be, but she shut up about it.

Next thing I knew, Paul was laying over our laps, right in the middle of our conversation.

"Paul!" Kat hadn't noticed him. "What the hell?"

"Uh oh, mommy and daddy are fighting. Are they going to get a divorce?" He teased.

I shoved him onto the ground. "Shut up, asshole. What do you want?"

He dusted himself off and took a seat on the table in front of us. "Well, if you two were done bitching, I was going to ask if you want to go out for dinner in a bit."

Kat glanced at me before answering. "Of course we're going."

She always felt the need to answer for me. "I don't think I'm up for it tonight, actually."

"Shawn..."

"No, you two go. I'll be fine. I do remember what it's like to take care of myself," I said.

Paul just looked back and forth between us, while Kat held my gaze. "Are you two okay?"

Kat sighed. "No."