Chapter 39: I'm Proud of You

-----
Kat's POV
-----

Shawn's happiness was always important to me. When he wasn't happy, nobody was happy. So when he was, I was overjoyed.

His surgery for hid knee all went fine, and despite missing out on wrestling at Wrestlemania, he was in good spirits. Knowing I would be accompanying him to the ring for something other than an interview  made me excited. Mostly because he was, but still. I loved the wrestling business.

Normally I was content to just hang around with Shawn and Paul until we needed to get ready, but I was starving. They, of course, weren't hungry, and neither did they feel like getting off their lazy asses.

So I walked to catering by myself, hoping Mark would be around so I would have someone to talk to. I scanned the room as I got my food. I didn't see Mark, but I did see Steph. She was excitedly waving me over.

"You'll never guess," she said as I sat down across from her.

"What?"

"Guess!" she insisted. The excitement on her face was contagious.

"You finally bought your own clothes instead of stealing mine?" I joked.

She gave me a look. "Ha, ha. I don't even do that. I haven't even done that since, like, sophomore year. It was your fault anyway, you said I could borrow them."

I tried not to laugh as I pointed towards her shirt. "That's mine. I remember buying it."

Steph started to backtrack. "Okay, well your clothes are always cuter than mine. You have such a good sense of style!" She pouted. "This isn't what you were supposed to guess, anyway."

I pretended to sigh. "Fine, Steph," I acted like a bored older sister. Really I was very interested in what she had to say. "What is it?"

Her smile returned. "Okay," she said, "I've picked out where you and Shawn can have your wedding."

"Oh my gosh, Steph, we haven't even decided when it will be!"

"Shh, shh, I know," her smile didn't leave. "But wedding planning is really complicated and a lot of work. You have to start planning now."

I rolled my eyes as I took another bite. "We don't want a real big wedding."

Steph's jaw dropped. "Are you kidding? You have to! You always wanted a princess wedding. You wanted to get married in a castle, and arrive in a horse and carriage."

"Shh!" I exclaimed. "We were little girls then. Shawn doesn't like the whole big wedding scene. Besides, it's not really us. Can you really picture Shawn and I getting married in a castle?" I asked. I couldn't. The thought alone was actually funny to me. Imagining Shawn, the half rock-and-roll, half cowboy that he was, riding in a horse and carriage. It was too good of an image.

"Yes!" Steph half-shouted. "You two are going to get married in castle, live happily ever after, and have two kids named Ashley and Aurora." I actually couldn't tell how much of that was teasing and how much she really wanted us to be happy.

"Sounds like what you want between you and Paul," I replied.

She looked so betrayed, looking away and trying not to blush. She didn't blush as bad as I did, but I could always tell when she was embarassed.  "I do not," she muttered.

I grinned. "Yes you do!" Steph had a huge crush on Paul. I couldn't figure out why she kept denying it, when it was so obvious. Shawn and I talked about setting them up all the time.

"Shut up and eat your salad," she said. I couldn't help but giggle at her sudden change in mood.

I did eat my salad, but I wasn't about to shut up. "If we were still in school, you'd probably have a notebook with 'Paul and Steph' doodled all over it," I teased. I mock gasped. "Steph and Paul. Staul!"

She clamped her hands over her ears, trying to block me out. "Stop. Stop. Stop. You are the worst."

"Now do you get why I hate you teasing me about Shawn?" I asked.

"You and Shawn are actually engaged!  Paul and I... aren't," she said lowly, trying not to draw attention towards us. She didn't want anyone hearing about her little crush.

Not like she had anything to worry about. If anyone was going to tell Paul, it was going to be me or Shawn. I mean, come on. They were perfect for eachother!

"Not yet," I sing-songed. "And I'm not the worst. I am the best sister you have. I'm your favorite sister."

Steph rolled her eyes, stealing a tomato from my plate. "You're my only sister."

"Fine. I'm your favorite sibling, though," I replied, grinning.

"Maybe," she commented, smiling back. "Shane is a pretty good brother."

"I am so better than Shane!" I acted shocked. "We are besties for the restie, Steph. We finish eachother's..."

"Food," she answered. "Do you want the rest of that?"

I chuckled and slid it over to her. "Take it," I told her. She was all too happy to do so. We had been swooping in on eachother's food since we were kids.

She started talking about my wedding again, to turn the topic away from herself. She got so embarassed when we were talking about Paul; it was cute. It reminded me of how I was before I met Shawn, when I was just crushing on him from afar.

"Oh my gosh, we have to start looking at dresses. I think you would look good in a mermaid dress," Steph chatted away.

"I don't know, I kinda like the big poofy ones," I replied.

"What do you need a big poofy dress for?" I looked up to see my father. He had crept up on us while we were locked in conversation about flowers (Roses were my favorite, Steph liked tulips).

"Hey, Dad," I greeted as he pulled up a chair. It had been a while since I'd seen the three of us at one table.

I wasn't as mad at Dad anymore. After all, I had about a month or two of staring at the ceiling to mellow out.

Steph said hello as well, and I tried to strike up conversation, but he was caught on what he had overheard.

I was sure he had seen my ring, but I had not yet had the chance to break the news to him.

"Um..." I didn't know where to start. I ended up just putting my hand out in his direction, showing off the beautiful ring. "I'm getting married."

A whole roller-coaster of emotions showed on his face. One second I thought he might flip the table, the next I was afraid he might cry. The long silence was agony while I waited for him to react.

Steph gave me a look that was scared for me and tried to make an exit, but I wouldn't let her. I shot her a glare until she gave in to staying put. There was no way she was going to abandon me now.

In the end, Dad just held his arms open. I hesitated for a moment, before realizing it really was an invitation for a hug. I gave him one.

I felt like he was squeezing the life out of me. For a second I couldn't breathe.

Then I was the one about to cry when I heard him whisper, "I'm proud of you, Katherine."

I knew he didn't just mean me being engaged. He was proud of how far I'd come, who I had become. And that was all I ever asked for.

That was all I ever wanted.

-----
-A/N-
Okay this got super cute and I didn't even intend on that.
I love the McMahons so freaking much.