Chapter 37: It's Going To Work Out

-----
Kat's POV
-----

It was good to be backstage again. Not to mention, wearing something other than sweats. Though I did enjoy wearing Shawn's clothes, I had missed my ring gear.

Shawn wasn't wrestling, of course, but we were going to participate in an interview. Dad wanted to keep Shawn relevant while he was injured. I really needed to thank him for that, because it was one of the only things keeping Shawn's spirits up: hope.

He was definitely going to need surgery. There was nothing else to be done about it. It was really a bummer that right when I got off the injured list, Shawn was signed on.

Things in my head were finally clearing. U passed my concussion test, and I had very minimal pain in my rib. As long as I didn't stretch the wrong way, I was all good.

Shawn was busy getting ready, so I wandered backstage to see what I could find. I was all too happy to see Steph.

She practically ran to me. "How are you feeling?" she asked as she pulled me into a hug.

I let myself stay in the arms of my sister for a minute. "Really good. I'm all ready to get back into civilization."

She smiled. "So... now that you're better, you have to tell me about this!" She grabbed left hand, obviously talking about my engagement ring.

I couldn't help but grin. "Oh, Steph, it was so cute," I gushed. "It was Christmas Eve, and we walked around and saw all the lights..." I trailed off, thinking about it. I still couldn't believe Shawn and I were actually engaged.

Steph made this noise that could only be described as a squeal. "I love you guys!" She told me. "When are you going to have the wedding?"

It was good to hear how supportive she was. It made me feel so much better than my sister would be with me every step of the way. Even if it wasn't soon.

"I don't know yet. Maybe not for a while," I admitted. "It is kinda soon." We were young to be getting married. At least, I was. I wasn't ready quite yet.

"Aww, come on," she begged. But she wasn't really sad. Steph just liked to tease.

"I'll tell you what," I said, "When we do get married, I want you to be my maid of honor." I was beaming at that point, just at the thought of it.

She squealed again and almost squeezed the life out of me. I was just as excited, but I was better at keeping it inside. She sighed contently. "You are going to be the most beautiful bride."

"And you'll be the most beautiful maid of honor," I replied.

It was so good to see Steph and just talk about girly things. When we were  in middle school we used to fantasize about our weddings all the time. It was weird to think this time it was actually real.

We walked around as we continued talk, both of us too excited to stand still. Steph linked her arm in mine and we just chatted about trivial things, like we used to before I met Shawn.

Before I met Shawn, Steph and I would just sit around backstage and gossip about all the wrestlers we had crushes on, but would never be allowed to date. I never thought I would be marrying one.

Time bfore I met Shawn seemed so long ago, but I knew it had only been almost a year. It felt like a lifetime.

Even if we were just there to do an interview, I felt so much better being backstage and seeing everyone and talking to Steph.

We stopped to talk to the wardrobe ladies, who were super nice to us. They talked about different ideas they had for new outfits for me. They were really playing up the Miss Elizabeth idea, but I didn't mind. She was great, and I would be honored to pay a little homage to her.

I felt like I hadn't seen Mark in forever. He was the same as always, alone and a little grumpy. He brightened up a bit when he saw Steph and I.

I hugged him too, and he asked how I was doing. I smiled when I told him how well things were going for me. Shawn wasn't doing well, but I felt good. I was in the best mood I had been in since the accident. Things were looking up.

"What about you? Brooding keeping you busy?" I joked as Steph and I both took a seat near him.

He chuckled. "You could say that. Work is work, y'know?"

I nodded. "I wish I was doing the work you are."

He laughed again. "No you don't," he answered. "It's not always what it's cracked up to be. You take a lot of bumps."

"I do!" I defended. "Just walking out there gives me so much adrenaline. Plus, you've got this whole spooky gimic going on. It gives me chills."

He just shook his head. "You McMahons never give up, do you?"

"Nope," Steph answered before I could.

"We're very resilient," I explained. "We just don't know when to quit."

Mark shook his head again. "Maybe that's good. It'll help you one of these days." He paused for a second. "Hopefully in something other than wrestling. Sorry, Princess, you're just too good for this business. This business takes good girls like you and breaks them in half."

"Well," I told him, "Maybe I'm not as much of a good girl as you think I am. I mean, look who my fiance is."

Mark started to chuckle, but then what I said hit him. "...fiance?"

I had just let it slip. I showed him my ring.

"Well, I'll be damned. Congratulations," he said. I couldn't tell if he was being sincere or not.

"Really?" I asked.

He nodded. "Look, Princess, I'll be here for you no matter what. If this works out, then great, I'm happy for you. If not, I'll be here to pick you back up and give that bastard a piece of my mind."

I smiled back. What did I do to deserve such great friends? "It's going to work out," I assured him. "But I might still need you around. You know, to pick me back up."

I wasn't sure how I had managed to have so many great people in my life, but I wasn't complaining.

-----
-A/N-
One of these days I'll actually go through with #endprocrastination2k18.
But until then we can enjoy what I worked on instead of actually writing:

Modern Shawtherine, my babies😍