Chapter 12: You Can Sleep With Me

-----
Shawn's POV
-----

We started driving Kat's car instead of always getting a rental. It was way nicer, and hell, it was cheaper. Kat brought it up after we'd worked things out. I was still baffled by everything she'd said that night. I still couldn't believe this tiny form that was sleeping against my shoulder actually loved me.

"What do you want to do today? We don't have anywhere to be until tomorrow," Paul asked, looking back at me through the mirror. We'd been driving for hours, and we just got to New York.

"Whatever Kat wants to do, I guess. I don't really care," I shrugged. I nudged Kat in an attempt to wake her up and ask. "Hey, babe, we're here."

She opened her eyes for the first time in about three hours and yawned, sitting upright. "Yeah?"

I chuckled. She was so damn cute. "We're here," I repeated. "What do you want to do?"

She wiped the sleep from her eyes and brightened up. "Can we go sightseeing? I've never really been here--except for Wrestlemania, when I was like, ten." She rambled. Her stomach grumbled as soon as she finished. "...After we eat?"

How could I say no? "Sure thing, kitten. We'll stop at whatever's close and then go see whatever you want." I smiled down at her excited face.

Paul pulled over at some nice-looking sit-down restaurant. It was busy, but what place in New York City isn't?

Kat stepped out of the car and started shivering like crazy. "I thought it was supposed to be summer!" she complained. She was only wearing a short sleeved navy shirt. It didn't even reach all the way to her jeans.

"Yeah, well, New York doesn't always confine to our laws of weather," I told her. "Here, take my jacket."

"But then you'll be cold," she argued.

"Kat, take the damn jacket," I insisted, taking it off and shoving it in her arms.

She reluctantly donned the jacket, but I could tell she was grateful. It was about five sizes too big for her and basically wrapped around her like a blanket, but all that mattered was that she was warm.

Paul led us inside the restaurant. We had a big breakfast, which was a welcome change to all the junk we'd been eating in the car. I was surprised by how much Kat could put away when she was hungry. She ate four pancakes the size of her head.

"God, Shawn, you didn't tell me your girlfriend was a bottomless pit!" Paul exclaimed, teasing.

Kat blushed. "I was starving! All you guys live on is gummy worms and Coke!"

I laughed at that. "You're not wrong. But you forgot beer."

She rolled her eyes. "Oh, how could I forget that? Last week I had to pay the barkeeper in Chicago for damages!"

We sat in there for a while after we ate, just shooting the shit. It was nice to sit down and talk somewhere that wasn't, y'know, moving. Besides, I loved talking to those two. My two favorite people in the world.

We left eventually, when it became clear that the staff was wondering if we'd ever get up. They kept shooting glances our way from the kitchen area. Our server probably came to check on us at least seventeen times before we packed up. It was barely morning when we had originally arrived, so it wasn't late at all. It was still before noon; we had plenty of time.

"We've been here before," Paul told Kat, motioning at himself and I, "so really it's whatever you want to see. Bright lights, big city, the statue..."

"Can we just walk around? See Times Square, Central Park?" she suggested.

Paul and I both knew that was a lot of walking, but we agreed. Kat had this camera she'd bought at a gas station on the way up, and she was taking pictures of everything. The buildings, the people, us... She wanted to document it all.

We did walk to Central Park, after Times Square, but poor Kat was so damn tired at that point. She still had that light in her eyes that told me she was excited, but it was clear the lack of sleep was getting to her.

"We can head to the hotel if you want," I offered.

She shook her head. "I want to be out with you guys! I just can't walk anymore," she groaned.

I crouched down and motioned for her to climb onto my back and she jumped up happily. I carried her through the rest of the city. She wasn't very heavy at all, but even if she was, I wouldn't have minded. Anytime I could have her closer to me was a blessing.

At some point Kat called, "Paul, come here."

"Uh, I might be able to carry you, babe, but Paul is a different story," I told her.

She had the best laugh I'd ever heard. "No, I want him over here so I can take a picture of us!"

Paul sidled over to us as Kat tried to stick her tiny arm out to get all of us in the picture. Paul had to end up doing it, because she couldn't reach.

"Happy?" I asked.

She nuzzled her face into my shoulder. "Very."

***

By the time we got back to the hotel, all three of us were dead tired. Kat was still trying to be her peppy self, but her energy was definitely running on empty. Paul could barely walk up the stairs.

"Actually, Kat, I've been wanting to talk to you about something," I said, stopping her from walking into her hotel room.

Paul was already in our room, and probably passed out as soon as his head hit the pillow. Kat leaned against the door of her room to listen to what I had to say. The door was pretty much the only thing holding her up; I think if I would have opened the door, she would have fallen right onto the carpet.

"So it's kind of expensive to keep buying two rooms--"

"Jesus, Shawn, I'll pay for the rooms." She rolled her eyes, amused. "But I know Dad pays you top dollar. You don't have to keep pretending we're poor," she joked.

Fuck. That completely derailed me. The money was just my excuse to begin the conversation. Now I didn't know how to start. "No, I mean... you could stay in the same room as Paul and I. You can sleep with me. I mean, not like that. Unless you wanted... because I would if you... but--"

She bit her lip. "Um, yeah. That's a great idea," she replied. God bless her for stopping me, but I could tell she was kind of uncomfortable with the idea.

"You don't have to."

"No no no. I want to stay with you guys." She managed a sleepy smile. "I'd love that, actually."

She grabbed her bag from her room and moved it to ours. She didn't care that she'd already payed for the room, even after I offered to pay for it.

My day ended the same way it began: with the girl I loved asleep in my arms.

-----
-A/N-
THIS. SHIP. IS. MY. WEAKNESS.
This chapter is short but sweet💋 I hope you enjoyed!