Chapter 32: The Baby

-----
Kat's POV
-----

I couldn't sleep anymore. I found myself just staring up at the blank ceiling, even though it was early in the morning.

The door creaked when Sarah walked in. She was already dressed for work, her hair done up and everything.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you?" she whispered.

I shook my head as I slowly sat up. My rib was screaming throughout the whole process of shifting, but I tried not to focus on it.

"I've been awake. Are you going to work?" I asked.

She nodded. "Yeah. But don't worry, Kyle will be here all day. Did Ellie wake you? I'm so sorry, she hasn't been sleeping well--"

I stopped her before she got too far. "Ellie's fine. It wasn't her," I assured her.

"Okay. Well there's the TV remote," she pointed over at my bedside table, "but this one over here is the only one that will change the volume. We don't know why. Your phone is here, and I put some tissues out for you. The bathroom is right there," she nodded toward the end of the guest room, "and Kyle should be up soon. He'll probably make breakfast."

I just nodded again. "Thank you."

Sarah looked worried. It was obvious she wanted to help, but wasn't sure how. "Do you need anything? I can get you a glass of water."

I tried to give her a good smile. "I'm fine, really. Go to work, make some money."

She gave me a sympathetic smile and squeezed my hand once before she left, shutting me off from everyone once again.

I sighed as I glanced at the bedside table. I could watch TV, but I wasn't feeling it. It would just hurt my eyes anyway. My eyes drifted over to my phone. I longed to call someone, anyone. I just wanted to hear the voices of my friends.

Well, there was one person in particular that I missed hearing from. He could be annoying and sometimes I wasn't sure what I was going to do with him, but I loved him. It was too quiet when he wasn't around.

I glanced at my engagement ring as I started thinking about Shawn. I twisted it around and around on my finger, thinking about if I should call him. I knew he would be happy to hear from me, but I didn't know where he was or what time it was there. I didn't want to wake him.

We all knew how that usually turned out.

Eventually I let my heart give in and I grabbed my cellphone to dial him up.

"Yeah?" My heart jumped just hearing his voice. I missed him so much.

"You're supposed to say 'hello'," I joked. I could feel a smile creeping onto my face.

"Kat?" Shawn asked. He sounded so excited. "How are you?"

"I... don't want to talk about me. I'm bored out of my mind," I replied. "What are you doing?"

"Like right now?" he asked. When I answered with a noise sort of like "mhm", he continued, "I'm taking a shit."

I shook my head, even though he couldn't see me. "Not quite the thrill I was seeking."

"Sorry to disappoint," he responded. I couldn't help but laugh. He was something.

"No, really. There's nothing to do here except stare at the far wall. I want to know what you guys are up to," I told him.

He seemed to not want to answer me. For a second I thought I had lost him.

"You're, uh... you're going to be pretty upset with me," he finally said.