Chapter 4: Welcome To The Kliq

[Kat]

After I cleaned my face in the bathroom mirror, I went back to the women's locker room to get my things. I handed my keys to Steph and packed up quickly.

"Where are you going?" she asked. It was unusual for me to go somewhere without her, especially without telling her about it first.

I kept my eyes trained on my bag, not wanting to meet her eyes. "I'm riding with Shawn." I said it like it was no big deal, but it definitely was.

"What? But Dad--"

I stood up and shoved my hand over her mouth. "Shh! I know what Dad said. Which is why you can't tell him." She looked like she was about to protest, so I added, "Please, Steph."

She nodded and I removed my hand from her mouth. She didn't say anything else as I shouldered my bag. I assumed she was too shocked by my actions to form any words. This was out of character for me, but she couldn't stop me.

"Please, can you cover for me?" I begged. "If Dad finds out..."

"Kat, I don't know... are you sure about this?"

"I'm sure. I'll be safe with Shawn."

"Okay," she conceded. "I've got you covered." She seemed uncertain, but I knew I could trust Steph.

I managed to say goodbye and walked out to the garage area, where Shawn told me to meet him. The show was not over yet, but it was only a house show: nothing major. Besides, I wanted out of there as soon as possible. There was no way I could face my dad after what happened. My stomach twisted just thinking about it.

I'd only been waiting there for a few minutes when I saw Shawn walking toward me with his group of friends. All of them were shouting and joking, but when they got closer Shawn shushed them.

"Alright guys... this is Katherine," he introduced me, throwing an arm around my shoulder. At his touch, I felt sparks fly through me.

I did a little wave. All these guys were twice my size: it was intimidating. "Call me Kat."

"Kat," Shawn amended. He continued with introductions. "This is Big Kev." He pointed at the largest of the bunch, towering over me. I knew him as Diesel. "You met Scott earlier." He pointed at Razor. So I had gotten his name right... "Paul." He pointed at the other blonde. "And Kid." The smallest of the bunch, but that wasn't necessarily small.

"Kid?" I questioned.

"His name's Sean, too. But that's confusing as hell, so we call him Kid."

Diesel, or Kev, came up to me and held out his hand. I shook it. My hand got lost in his; it was three times the size of mine. "Welcome to the Kliq. It's nice to finally meet you," he told me.

"Finally?"

He laughed. "Shawn hasn't shut up about you for two weeks. Hell, I bet I've heard as much about you in the past few days as you have in your entire life."

I blushed. Shawn had been talking about me? I felt his arm stiffen and drop away as he punched Kev in the shoulder. "Shut up."

Kev just laughed him off. "I'm just getting started."

I had only been around these guys for two minutes, but I could see one thing very clearly: they were family. They acted just like I did with Shane and Steph, just with a little more violence.

"Hey, are we gonna go or not?" Scott asked. "If you two girls are done, I'd like to get a bite to eat."

Shawn looked down at me. "You hungry?"