Chapter 46: I Don't Want You Out There

[Kat]

It was as if the air was electrified. The hair on the back of my neck stood up because of it. Something about the night felt unforgettable; it made me feel as if it would be talked about for decades.

Shawn sat with his head in his hands, dressed and ready to go. At least, on the outside. I couldn't see the inner turmoil, but I knew it was there.

I knelt down in front of him, to be at his level. "You don't have to do this," I whispered.

He looked up at me. "Yeah, I do."

I sighed. I had to at least try. "You'd make a good soldier, you know that?"

He did not laugh, or even crack a grin. Instead he said, "I don't want you out there."

"What?" I stood before him. "Why not?"

"If it gets violent, or-"

"It's always violent. Joanie's going!"

"Joanie can handle herself. Besides, she and Paul aren't going either," he said.

"So can I!" I softened my voice. "If there's any time you really need me out there, it's now." I held one of his hands. "You know that. If there's anyone that can calm you down..."

He squeezed my hand in return. "Please."

"Fine. But you have to take me out to dinner later," I joked. It was easier than getting angry.

That got a chuckle out of him, finally. I kissed him softly and asked, "At least be careful?"

"Aren't I always?"

Joanie and Paul walked over to tell us it was time to get ready to walk out. I watched him leave and whispered, "Never."

On my way to Dad's office, Bret sent me a look of disgust. For a second panic seared through my veins; I thought he was onto us. I laughed it off. Of course he couldn't know.

Dad wasn't in his office when I walked in. I contemplated spinning around in his big desk chair before thinking better of it. I pulled a chair from the other side of the desk beside the big chair so I could see the screen of the TV he had sitting there.

It sucked watching Shawn from just a tiny box when I should have been out there with him.

My stomach turned as Bret finished his entrance. This was so not going to be good. Bret may have been an asshole that didn't want to work, but I wouldn't settle it like this.

I was startled from my thoughts when Dad walked in. He was shocked for a moment before he realized it was me. "What are you doing in here?" he asked, sinking into his chair beside me.

"Shawn didn't want me out there," I muttered, settling my folded arms against the desk and laying my head down.

"That's probably for the best," he said.

I perked back up. "For the best? I should be out there! I'm in my ring gear and everything."

"If Shawn didn't want you to go, I wouldn't push him," Dad told me.

"You think I don't know that? That's why I'm here." I didn't mean to be so cutting, but I was a little ticked off at the situation. "I'm his fiance. I know him better than anyone else in the world, and I'm not out there in case he blows up. What if he loses it?"