17 - "Are you okay?"

*Melissa's POV*

Jonah and Jack were walking upstairs together. I tried to slow down my breathing but nothing was working. That was so terrifying. Jack had gotten in a fight.

"It's going to be okay," Daniel said for about the eighth time. I think he was done reassuring me it was going to be okay and was trying to make himself feel better about it.

"I'm going to go check on him," I told Daniel.

Daniel nodded. I wiped at my cheeks which were damp. I had been crying apparently. I hadn't felt myself crying, it must've just happened. I walked up to one of the bathrooms upstairs that had a light on. I knocked on it and Jonah opened the door.

"Oh, hey Mel," Jonah said.

"Is he okay?" I asked.

"A little bruised and scratched but he's fine," Jonah shrugged.

"Can I come in?" I asked.

Jonah turned around and probably looked at Jack. Then he let me come in. I saw Jack who's eyes were barely open and his jaw was all red. He was sitting on the edge of their bathtub and just staring at the toilet. He probably felt like he was going to throw up.

"Jack," I said and sat next to him.

"Melissa," he said and then smiled to himself.

"Are you okay?" I asked and touched his jaw. Jack flinched but didn't say anything about it.

"Where's Daniel?" he asked.

"Oh, he's downstairs. I came to check on you," I said.

"Thanks. I told you I don't want to stand in the way-" Jack tried to say.

"You're not standing in the way of anything. Shut up. We're best friends, got that?" I asked.

"Yeah, best friends," Jack sighed and nodded.

"Jonah, go get an ice pack," I told Jonah and pointed towards Jack's eyes. Jonah nodded and then left to go get one. I went to squeeze Jack's hand to tell him it would be alright but his knuckles were all bruised. I picked up his hand and showed him.

"Does that hurt?" I asked.

"I honestly didn't even notice that," Jack said.

I sighed and leaned my head on Jack's shoulder. Poor guy. He just got into a fight. Jack leaned his head on mine and I could feel him smiling.

"What were you going to tell me?" I asked.

"When?" Jack asked.

"Right before the guy started punching you. You said my name and told me to listen but then he punched you so I don't know what you were going to say," I said.

"Oh, don't worry about that," Jack shook his head.

"Jack," I whined.

"Melissa," he whined back.

"If you won't tell me that then tell me what the fight was about," I said.

"That was what I was going to tell you," Jack admitted.

"Will this ice pack work?" Jonah asked and walked into the room.

"Yeah," I stood up and took the ice pack from Jonah. I put it on one of Jack's eyes. He flinched a little but then held it to his eye. Since he had a hold of it I removed my hand.

"Hey, you'll feel better soon," I said and squeezed Jack's hand that wasn't all bruised up.

"I know," Jack nodded.

"I better go talk to Christina now or something," I said. I started to walk away but Jack grabbed my hand. I turned around to him and saw him staring at me.

"Don't let anyone talk to you that you don't know. If anyone tries to talk to you that you don't know have Corbyn or Zach or Daniel or Jonah kick them out. Okay?" Jack asked.

"Okay," I nodded confused.

"Melissa, promise me you won't talk to anyone you don't know," Jack said more sternly.

"Okay, Jack, I promise," I nodded.

"Okay, go have fun," Jack said and let go of my hand.

I walked downstairs and Christina came up to me.

"Jack in a fight. Never thought we'd see that. I figured it would be Zach or maybe even Jonah. Jack was the farthest one from my mind when it came to fighting," Christina said.

"I know, me too. It's so weird," I said.

"I heard some rumors that it was about that girl he was talking to before the fight. I believe it, honestly. I bet Jack likes her a lot," Christina told me.

"Really? You think he likes her?" I asked. My voice went high pitched and cracked a little. For that, Christina gave me a weird look.

"Oh, I bet so. He's probably missing having someone since the whole Gabbie break up. Anyway, let's grab our guys and dance," Christina grabbed my hand and basically dragged me to where Corbyn and Daniel were standing.

"Let's dance!" Christina and Corbyn basically yelled at the same time. They both burst out laughing then ran out to a spot near where Jack had just got beaten up. It was weird, before seeing Jack I was so freaked out but now I was fine.

"Hey, is he okay?" Daniel asked.

"He's acting tough but I'm pretty sure he hurts," I replied.

"Oh," Daniel nodded.

"Yep, anyway, want to dance?" I asked him and smiled.

"Sure..." Daniel trailed off and smiled. We ran out to where other people were dancing right as the song changed. It started playing Eraser by Ed Sheeran. It is such a hard song to find a dance to, but it's so good. We all tried to dance along with it anyway. This night went from disaster to fun again.