14 - "It's not what it looks like"

*Melissa's POV*

"Mind telling me what's going on?" Daniel crossed his arms.

"It's not what it looks like," I told him.

"Oh really?! You know, everyone says that but no one means it," Daniel said.

"Daniel, seriously, we're just friends. Nothing is going on," Jack said.

"Fuck both of you," Daniel shook his head at us and then walked away. I got out of the bed and ran after him. I grabbed his arm a couple of times but he shook me off. I'd never heard Daniel cuss since I met him, that's how I knew he was mad.

"Daniel, listen," I pleaded.

"No, you listen Melissa. I gave you another chance but now...now...now I just can't believe you're cheating on me," his voice broke in the middle of saying cheating.

"I'm not cheating on you," I said, "Listen please."

"You have a minute to try and fix this," Daniel said and finally turned around.

"Jack and I haven't had a sleepover in a while. Our last one was when we were fourteen. He wanted to have another one so I didn't argue. I miss hanging out with Jack, okay? Jack and I's friendship shouldn't bother you. I love you Daniel, not Jack," I said.

"Did you just say you love me?" Daniel asked and smiled at me.

I thought about it for a moment. I had said I loved Daniel. That was crazy.

"Yeah," I nodded.

Daniel put his arms around me and pulled me into his chest. He kissed the top of my head a couple times.

"I love you too," he said.

I wrapped my arms around Daniel and just sunk into him. I thought about Jack though. I had just left him. Hopefully he was good, hopefully he wouldn't be mad at either of this. He would understand though, he's Jack. He'd get why I ran after Daniel.

"Are we still going to cuddle?" Daniel asked.

"You're not mad anymore?" I asked.

"I can't stay mad at you," Daniel replied and kissed my forehead.

"Okay, let me go just tell Jack to leave then it will be us," I told him.

"Okay," Daniel nodded and smiled at me.

I ran back up to my room and Jack was already packing up his stuff. It was like he knew that I was going to ask him to leave or something.

"Umm, so Daniel and I were kind of-"

"Yeah, I get it. I'll leave. I won't stand in the way of your relationship anymore," Jack said. He sounded ticked off.

"You aren't standing in the way of anything," I told him.

"Yes I am. Our friendship isn't going to work this is all too...weird," Jack said.

"Jack, don't be like that," I shook my head.

"I can't get used to it. I can't get used to you being with Daniel. It's freaking me out, I hate it," Jack sighed.

"Why do you hate it?" I asked.

"Bye, Mel, you can just keep my jacket and hat. I don't care," Jack said then ran out of my room. I looked into my closet. It had the jacket and hat Jack had given me when we went skateboarding. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. This was so frustrating.

I walked back downstairs and Daniel was sitting on my couch in the living room on his phone. When he noticed I walked downstairs, he got off it.

"Jack left pretty fast, what did you say?" Daniel laughed.

"He just...left. I didn't really say anything," I sighed.

I sat down by Daniel and leaned my head on his chest. He put his arm around me and held me close to him. It felt so wrong though. I couldn't figure out why, I just knew that this wasn't how it was supposed to happen. I closed my eyes and tried to relax more. I just wasn't comfortable though.

Maybe it's because I was in a fight with Jack. Those always made me feel terrible. I had been in two fights with Jack over the last like month. I didn't like this.

"Are you okay?" Daniel asked.

I shook my head no. I wasn't okay. I was far from it. I wanted Jack to be my best friend again, I wanted everything not to be so awkward.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Daniel asked.

I shook my head no again. It was bad enough I had to deal with it, I didn't want anyone else to have to deal with it too.