19 - "I got you a present"

*Melissa's POV*

Zach couldn't help me. No one could. I had basically stayed at home for three days. I didn't talk to Jack or respond to Daniel's texts. Except if Daniel was asking me if I was alive or not, I responded to those. By now Christina was gone because she only was staying for a couple days. It was upsetting because I couldn't talk to her about it in person.

Someone knocked on my bedroom door though. Beckett must have let them in.

"Come in," I mumbled.

"Hey, baby, I came to check on you," Daniel said.

"Ugh!" I yelled into my pillow.

"Is that okay?" Daniel asked and kind of laughed.

I turned around and looked at Daniel. Seeing him made my heart break a little, he had no idea what was going on. I felt so guilty even though I hadn't done anything. Well, I kind of had done something. I loved a different boy.

"Yes and no. I mean, I'm glad you're here," I said.

Daniel came over and sat on my bed. He pushed my hair out of my face and then held one of my hands.

"Daniel, I look like a mess," I said.

"No, you look beautiful. Like always. Don't ever say you look like a mess," Daniel said.

"Damn it," I mumbled.

"What?" Daniel asked.

"Nothing," I said.

"Is something wrong?" Daniel asked me.

"No, not at all," I shook my head but I couldn't look Daniel in the eyes to say that.

"You need to get out of bed. I'm worried sick about you. Come on, let's just at least go on a walk or something," Daniel said and tugged my hand a little.

"Okay, a walk. Please get out of my room so I can get dressed," I said.

"I'm your boyfriend, I'm allowed to see you naked," Daniel teased.

"Daniel," I laughed.

"Melissa," Daniel laughed back and kissed the top of my head before walking out of my bedroom. I couldn't help it, I was thinking of Jack. This sucked.

I got dressed in more comfortable clothes then something that would wow Daniel. I didn't care much right now and just wanted to go take a walk with Daniel so then he would leave and I wouldn't feel guilty anymore.

When I walked out Daniel intertwined our fingers and started walking. We walked out of my house in silence and, for the most part, around my neighborhood in silence. There was a little park at the end of my neighborhood and Daniel walked to it. We sat on a bench and Daniel put his arm around me.

"Hey, I got you something," Daniel said out of nowhere.

"What?" I asked and looked at him with wide eyes.

"I got you a present," Daniel laughed a little.

"Oh, okay," I nodded.

Daniel pulled a small box out of his coat pocket. Instantly my mind went straight to proposal and I started to freak out a little but it was too big of a box for that. I calmed down and Daniel opened the box. Inside was a necklace with two hearts connected. It was a rose gold necklace with little diamonds on the sides of the hearts. It was so beautiful I wanted to cry.

"Do you like it?" Daniel asked and smiled at me.

"Daniel, I love it," I said. I pulled him into a hug and he put his face where my shoulder and neck meet. He was so warm.

"I love you," he said, it came out muffly because his face was basically buried in my hair.

"I-I love you too," I stuttered. Shit. Shit. Shit.

"Why'd you stutter?" Daniel laughed, pulling me closer to him.

"It's just...Daniel, this is so thoughtful," I said.

Daniel let go of me and smiled. He took the necklace out of the box and held it up. I held up my hair and he put it on me. I turned back towards him and he picked up the charm of the necklace and rubbed it with his thumb. He looked up at me and smiled.

"I'm so lucky," Daniel smiled at me.

"I'm the lucky one, Daniel. You're not lucky at all," I said. Daniel tried to protest but I put my hand over his mouth.

"Shut up, you're not lucky. Take my word for it," I said.

Then I snuggled into his chest because just for five minutes, I wanted there to not be any problems. I didn't want to think about Jack, I didn't even want to think about Daniel. I just wanted to lay here and breathe. To just take a second and think about what the hell was going on in my life. Daniel put his arm around me and pulled me closer into him. He kissed my forehead and then leaned his head on top of mine. And for a second it worked. Nothing else in the world mattered to me.

But just as quick as that second came, it was over.