9 - "You have yourself a bet"

*Melissa's POV*

"Get up!" Beckett yelled and hit me with a pillow.

"What do you want?!" I groaned and rolled over.

"Your boyfriend's here. Why do you have a better love life then me?" Beckett asked.

My eyes shot open and I was up in a heartbeat. I started to push Beckett out of my room.

"Stall him, I got to get ready!" I yelled. She laughed and then left.

I found a shirt I liked and put it on. Then some jeans and a cardigan. The weather was starting to get cold. I brushed out my hair and put on a little makeup. Why would Daniel turn up without telling me?

"Knock, knock," someone said as they knocked on my door. That wasn't Daniel...

I opened my door and saw Jack. Big smile. He and Beckett must've just been messing with me. So I got up for nothing, just this weirdo.

"Rude. Was Beckett in on it?" I asked.

"Yep, we're good," Jack nodded and laughed.

"I hate you," I teased and smacked his shoulder.

"Anyway, Mel, let's hang," Jack walked into my room and sat in a chair. He was so comfortable in my house that it was almost weird.

I didn't know how to respond to that. I think my brain was still trying to comprehend that Daniel wasn't here. Curly haired, big smile, totally relaxed Jack was instead.

"What will we even do?" I asked.

"We will be like normal kids and just go to a movie or something. We aren't rebellious," Jack said, "Well, I can be. You aren't rebellious is what I mean."

"Oh, I'm not rebellious?" I asked.

"Yeah, you're not. You're literally wearing a cardigan right now," Jack teased.

"I'm so rebellious, Jack Avery, you don't know what you're messing with. Teach me to skateboard," I crossed my arms.

"Hate to break it to you kid, that's not that rebellious," Jack said, "I'll admit though, it's a start. Let's go, I bet you five dollars you'll talk yourself out of it by the time we get there."

"You have yourself a bet," I said and stuck out my hand. We shook on it and then went to his car.

(Time skip - they just got to the skate park)

"Okay, Mel, you ready?" Jack asked.

"Yep," I nodded confidently.

"Wrong answer. We just started and you're already wrong," Jack laughed.

"What do you mean?" I asked confused. We were literally here and I had a skateboard, there couldn't be much more to it. Or maybe there was. I don't know. I'm new at this.

"The look, Mel! You got to have the look!" Jack laughed, "And I know your thing is wearing cardigans and skateboarding but not right now."

Jack handed me one of his jackets and one of his baseball caps. I gave him a confused look.

"Well, put them on. Don't just stand there," Jack laughed.

"But, why?" I asked.

"Oh my gosh, Mel," Jack shook his head. He tucked my hair behind my ears on both sides and then put the hat on my head. Then he held out the jacket.

"Replace your cardigan with my much cooler jacket," Jack said.

"Will Gabbie have a problem with this?" I asked him. As soon as I said it, I regretted it. Jack gave me this hurt look for a brief second before it was gone again and his face showed no emotion.

"I don't know what's up with her. I'm not going to make you bored to death by telling you all that though. Don't worry your pretty little head about it," Jack said, putting my cardigan back in his car and then setting the skateboard on the ground. He didn't meet my eyes when saying any of that. Wait, did he just call me pretty? Is that a metaphor? I'm so confused.

"Okay, so this is what we're going to do. You're going to step on the skateboard. Then put your hands on my shoulders if you feel like you're going to fall. You trust me, right?" Jack asked.

"Of course I trust you," I nodded.

"Step on," Jack grabbed my hand and held it as I stepped on the skateboard. When I got on he showed me how to have my feet and stuff. I stood there for a little bit and then suddenly my body wanted me to fall forward or something. I held out my hands and grabbed Jack's shoulders.

"That was terrifying," I laughed as I felt my heart beat hard in my chest. I was so scared of falling it was almost funny. I wasn't scared of getting hurt though like most people, I was scared of falling in front of Jack and him laughing at me. He would totally do that.

"I got you," Jack nodded to me. He had his hands on my sides to keep me up right. I looked him in the face and he looked genuinely scared. Probably because I was gripping his shoulders so tight.

"I'm sorry," I said and got off the skateboard. I let go of Jack's shoulders once I was down and he put his hands in his pockets.

"Well, maybe we weren't the smartest people for trying this," Jack kind of laughed.

"Maybe," I shrugged, "But I'm basically a rebel now."

"No you're not, very far from it. You're a goody goody," Jack laughed.

"Whatever, Avery, everyone loves this goody goody," I laughed.

"Yeah they do," Jack nodded then he cleared his throat and said, "Let me take you home."

I was so confused. We had only been out here about ten minutes. Was my relationship with Daniel ruining my friendship with Jack? Or was there something else going on?