16 - "Yeah, Melissa's her name, right?"

*Jack's POV*

I was talking to some girl. I didn't know her name. Ginger. Piper. Something like that. Not that it mattered, I didn't care about her. The girl I did care about was outside with one of my best friends. They were probably making out by now or something.

I looked across the room and saw two guys. I didn't know them. Maybe Corbyn or Jonah or someone invited them. I didn't like them though. I could barely hear them over Ginger (or Piper or whatever the fuck her name is) and the music that was blaring.

"A lot of the girls in here are hella fine," guy 1 said to his friend.

"No joke. How many do you think I can get to go home with me tonight?" guy 2 asked.

"None, look at your fugly face. Girls would run. The only one I'm trying to get to go home with me is Seavey's girlfriend. Damn. Have you seen her?" guy 1 said.

"Jack! Are you listening?!" annoying blonde girl yelled and waved her hand in my face.

"Umm, not really. No," I said and clenched my jaw, "Sorry, Ginger."

"It's Pepper! You really haven't been listening!!" blonde girl yelled and threw her hands in the air. I swear, even her voice was annoying.

"Yeah, Melissa's her name, right? I bet I can get her to scream my name," guy 2 smirked at guy 1.

"I call dibs. I'll give you all the details though," guy 1 smiled and laughed a little.

"You better," guy 2 said.

"Jack! Listen to me!" Pepper yelled again. I walked around her and straight up to the 2 guys.

"You may want to rethink that, Melissa has a boyfriend," I told them.

"So? Girls are sluts, you should know. You're in a boyband, they basically take off their clothes for you," guy 1 shrugged.

"Girls are not sluts. Not Melissa, not any of the limelights. Touch one of them, any of them, you'll regret it," I gritted my teeth.

Both guys looked scared for a moment but then they both looked at each other and laughed.

"Oh, we're so scared," guy 1 laughed.

"Yeah, real terrifying," guy 2 laughed.

Then I don't know what came over me. All I was thinking about was Melissa and the fans. I punched guy 1 right in his jaw and it sent him backwards. Guy 2 ran away like a coward. I was pissed. Guy 1 was still trying to get up but I grabbed the back of his shirt so he couldn't. I started punching him in his stomach. People started getting crazy. Some cheering for one of us and others yelling at us to stop. All I knew was that I wasn't done yet. I pulled him up by his shirt collar again and punched him in the face.

"Jack!!" someone yelled. She wasn't cheering, she wasn't telling us to stop. She sounded scared.

I turned around and saw Melissa. She looked terrified. Daniel had his arms wrapped around her and was giving me this look that basically told me how disappointed they all were of me.

"Melissa, listen I-" I tried to say. Something hit me right in the jaw and next thing I knew I was laying on the floor. Guy 1 was suddenly in my face. He was beaten up pretty bad but I knew I was going to look worse. I kicked my feet to try to get up but there was no use. Guy 1 bent over and kept punching me in my face. Sometimes in my jaw, other times near my eye. I lifted my hand to try to punch him back but I couldn't even see clearly.

Then someone grabbed Guy 1 by the back of his shirt and pulled him up. He pushed him away and clenched both his fists.

"Go! Get out of our house!" he yelled. It was Jonah. Jonah, the one to end a fight. I sat up and in an instant that Pepper girl was by my side.

"Jack, are you feeling okay? That was so brave," Pepper gushed. I didn't even look at her. I turned and looked at Melissa. It was blurry but from what I could see she was shaking. She was crying and Daniel was rubbing her back and kissing her forehead. He was comforting her and telling her it was gonna be alright. It made me want to get into another fight.

"You are so stupid, you know that?" Jonah asked me. The crowd was still around us but no one was paying attention. They were all too fired up and yelling about how that just happened.

"I do now," I sighed.

Jonah grabbed my hand and pulled me up. I lost my balance a little and Pepper grabbed my arm and put it over her shoulder.

"My hero," she said and batted her eyelashes at me. She started leaning in like she was going to kiss me. Instead I turned and looked at Jonah.

"I think I'm going to throw up," I told him. Pepper was gone in an instant.

"I'll help you upstairs, no one's up there," Jonah said, "At least, no one should be. Anyway, what was that about?"

"What took you so long?" I asked to change the subject.

"Mel, Daniel, Zach, and I were outside with some other people. We all heard the screaming so we came in to figure out what it was for. I'd never seen Melissa go so pale in her life," Jonah said.

"Is she okay?" I asked.

"No, I don't think so," Jonah shook his head.

I frowned. Then I actually felt like I was going to throw up.