28 - "Can we be best friends?"

**A/n: What has this story become lol**

*Melissa's POV*

Zach and I were hanging out at the Why Don't We house. Jack was upstairs in his room but, other then that, I didn't know where the other boys were.

"Melissa, are we friends?" Zach asked.

"Yeah, Zach. I literally came over here to hang out with you," I laughed.

"Can we be best friends?" Zach asked.

"Sure," I shrugged.

"We are best friends! Best friend selfie!" Zach yelled.

He put his arm around me and then we both smiled and he took a picture.

"This one is Instagram worthy," Zach nodded at me.

"Totally," I laughed and rolled my eyes. Zach posted it on Instagram then threw his phone onto the couch.

Zach then looked at my neck. He rubbed the necklace Daniel had given me. Yeah, I still wore it. It was a necklace. Just because we broke up didn't mean that I couldn't wear a perfectly fine necklace.

"This is the necklace Daniel gave you. I'm kind of shocked you still wear it," Zach admitted.

"Why wouldn't I?" I asked and laughed.

"Because Daniel gave it to you...and Daniel's your ex," Zach shrugged. He moved his face closer to the necklace, examining it.

"It's a pretty necklace though," Zach nodded.

I  nodded in agreement and Zach moved away. He leaned back on the couch and sighed, running a hang through his hair.

"Hey, want to do something stupid?" Zach asked me and smiled.

"Umm, depends," I said.

"Okay, let's go fill water balloons with paint and throw them at something," Zach smiled.

"Why would we do that?" I laughed.

"Because we're going to go do something stupid," Zach laughed.

"Okay, let's go," Zach said and we walked outside.

(Time skip - after they're done with that)

Zach and I walked back inside the house, both laughing. We were covered in paint. Apparently throwing balloons filled with paint at something means throwing them at each other. All the boys, except Jack, were sitting on the couch and judging us.

"Hey, guys," Zach laughed and waved at them.

"What the hell happened to you guys?" Jonah asked.

"Well, we have paint and water balloons. It's a long story basically," Zach explained. Then we both looked at each other and burst out laughing.

"So...what's going on between you two?" Daniel asked.

"We're best friends," Zach said.

Then Zach and I both fist bumped. Then we saw our paint covered hands and burst out laughing. We're dorks.

"I should probably go home and take a shower. See you guys later," I smiled. I waved to all the boys and then ran outside. I decided to just call Beckett to pick me up. I didn't want to get paint in any of the boys' cars.

*Zach's POV*

It had been a really fun day, honestly.

"'Best friends'," Corbyn said and made air quotes.

"What? We are," I shrugged.

Okay, Melissa was cute and all but I didn't see her like that. She was my friend. I only wanted to be her friend, seriously.

"Yeah, that sure shows," Jonah laughed.

"Dude, I know she's Jack's. Even now while they're fighting. They both still like each other, it's fucking obvious. I'm not going to come in between that," I shook my head.

I walked upstairs to go take a shower but I heard talking in Jack's room. Weird. I knocked on the door.

"Yeah, Beckett, I got to go," Jack said.

Jack came over and opened the door. When he saw me he did a double take.

"Why the hell are you covered in paint?" Jack asked.

"Why the hell are you talking to Melissa's sister?" I asked and crossed my arms.

"Because I...I'm sorry. I'm really going to need an answer on the paint question first," Jack said and laughed a little.

"Melissa and I were throwing paint filled water balloons at each other," I replied and shrugged.

"That's...normal, I guess. Anyway, I was just asking Beckett how Melissa was," Jack shrugged too.

"Why don't you ask Melissa you coward?" I asked.

"Because she hates me," Jack said and looked down.

"I'm sorry, Jack, but she has every right to be. You told her you loved her and then you turn around and get with another girl," I said.

"When you put it that way it sounds douchey," Jack said.

"When you put it anyway it sounds douchey," I rolled my eyes.

"Woah! Zach, when did you get so against me?" Jack asked.

"Since you're not Jack anymore," I said.

"What? I am Jack," Jack scrunched his face up.

"No. This person standing before me, he's not Jack," I shook my head.

Then I went into the bathroom to take a shower because the paint was starting to dry and making it feel weird to move.