21 - "Well, because of Jack"

*Daniel's POV*

"Hey guys," I said and walked into my house.

"What's up, Seavey? Are you and Melissa okay?" Zach asked as soon as I walked in.

"Yeah, fine," I nodded, "Why wouldn't we be?"

"Well, because of Jack," Zach said.

I gave him a confused look. Ok, I'll admit that things have been weird between Jack and Melissa lately but I was trying not to think about that too much. It was not like she was going to leave me for Jack. She wouldn't do that. Would she? No, she wouldn't. Her and Jack are just friends.

"What did Jack do?" I asked.

"Jack is, like, in love with-" Zach stopped mid sentence, "I wasn't supposed to tell you."

Zach went redder then I'd ever seen him go before, which is weird because his cheeks are always red. Zach put one hand over his mouth and put his other hand in his pocket. I gave him another weird look.

"Is there something I don't know about?" I asked.

"I should just leave," Zach said and then walked away. I called Jack. We had both been at Melissa's and I left to go home. Jack had left too but he wasn't at the house so I didn't know where he went to. I called Jack three times but none of them he picked up.

I called Melissa and on the first time she answered. Whatever was going on, she had to know about it. It was the only explanation for why she had been acting so weird.

"What's going on?" I asked as soon as she picked up, not even giving her the chance to say hello.

"I'm just sitting in my room. Why? Is something wrong?" Melissa asked.

"No. What's going on between you and Jack?" I asked.

There was silence.

"What's going on, Melissa?" I asked again.

"What do you know and who told you?" Melissa asked.

"Did you cheat on me? Is that what's going on? Did you cheat on me with my best friend?" I asked.

"No! No, Daniel, I would never do that! I didn't cheat on you!" Melissa said.

"Zach can't keep a secret. You and Jack should both know that by now. He said something about Jack being in love. I know you know something so you might as well just admit what's going on," I said.

There was silence again.

"Is Jack with you right now?" I asked.

"Daniel, you're paranoid," Melissa replied.

"I'm not paranoid. I'm worried," I said.

"Jack is not with me right now. Nothing is going on between me and Jack," Melissa said.

"You're lying," I said.

There was just more silence. She was lying because if she wasn't lying she would be able to answer me right away. I ran my hands through my hair and just listened to see if she would say anything. She didn't. Then there was a bunch of beeping. She had hung up on me.

"Damn it!" I yelled and threw my phone. It hit the wall but didn't shatter. I was lucky. I also wasn't lucky though, Melissa was right.

I had to admit to myself. It had been a good little fling while it lasted but I wasn't going to marry Melissa. That was just, no. I couldn't see myself doing that. Isn't if you're going to date someone you should be open to marrying them in the future? I couldn't see myself marrying Melissa. I do love her, not in a marriage way. I love her in a I'll-always-be-there-for-you way.

So, this was fine? Yeah, I was good. I don't think Jack was though. He still hadn't returned my calls or come home yet. Maybe he was still at Melissa's.

I decided to drive over there because I would have to tell Melissa it was over anyway.

(Time skip - Daniel arrives at Melissa's house)

*Melissa's POV*

I opened the front door and saw Daniel. So he was really this paranoid?!

"I'm not with Jack for your information," I crossed my arms.

"Why aren't you?" Daniel asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Why aren't you with him? Why are you with me when you like him?" Daniel asked.

"Daniel, I-"

"I know you like him and I'm cool with it. I know he likes you and I'm cool with that too. Melissa, I care about you a lot and love you but I thought about it. I would never marry you," Daniel interrupted me.

I gave him a weird look. I ran my hand over the necklace he had given me earlier that day. So, what was bringing this on?

"You can keep the necklace. Just, Melissa, you and Jack belong together. I don't know how any of us never saw it until now but it's a thing. You guys just...work," Daniel said.

I looked at Daniel with my mouth open.

"You're okay with it?" I asked.

"Were you listening to what I just said?" Daniel laughed. I laughed too and then we both hugged.

"Let's go, I got to go talk to Jack!" I said and started jumping up and down.

"There's one flaw in your plan, I don't know where Jack is. None of us do, he's not answering our calls," Daniel said.

"Are you saying he's missing?" I asked.

"Were you not listening again," Daniel laughed.

"Let's go, Seavey! We got to find him!" I yelled in excitement and ran to Daniel's car.

**A/n: Not sure how this chapter turned out, haha**