Chapter Forty-nine

****QUICK NOTE***

The beginning is another flashback my system for some reason won't let me italicize more than one word. I will edit it correctly later! Again, first part is a memory!!!

Chapter Forty-nine-

~Memory~

"So you're going."

It wasn't a question. It was a statement directed to her by Elvina.

Seras was done discussing it though. "Are you going to leave?" Anybody else would've thought they were being dismissed but her sister knew exactly what she meant.

Elvina swallowed thickly as if to hold down her tears. "I cant promise that I'll be here when you return."

Seras nodded. There was nothing else to say. Both wanted to do separate things. Both of them were on opposite spectrums and the middle ground- Aldana, was no longer here to hold them together.

Not really sure how to broach a goodbye, Seras peeked over to Elvina but she was merely staring at the floor with unshed tears. She didn't know what to say and went to exit the room. Eaton would be waiting for her at their meeting point they agreed on.

"Seras. . . "

Her sister's meek voice halted her steps and she looked over shoulder.

"Please, think this through," her sister was speaking so softly.

"I have."

"You don't need to do this. I don't know what Eaton has convinced will help your pain go away but killing them won't bring her back to us."

"No, it won't." Seras nodded agreeing. Of course she wasn't an idiot. If there was any way for her to bring Aldana back, they wouldn't even be having this discussion. Not even the great sorcerous, Wendilin, could do anything.

"I owe Aldana this much."

"Aldana would not want this. She wouldn't want you slaughtering everything in sight and then forgetting everything the next day."

A nerve tweaked for the older sibling. "You're right. I don't remember any of the Creatures I killed that night."

"But you know what I remember?" Seras walked back into the room near Elvina, her jaw clenching. "Finding Aldana dead in a pile of ruble- left like trash. And she struggled in her last moments and don't tell me I have no way of knowing that. She was pulling life off of anything she could touch."

Elvina flinched But Seras wasn't even meaning it as a way to hurt the girl. She was telling the truth and she wanted her to understand. It haunted her all these years to think about once she figured out why her sister's body had been so pristine. As if someone had been mocking her and cleaned her up primply, leaving behind a gift for the sister that was surely on her way. Of course it was hard to tell with the fire but Aldana must have been using her power to absorb whatever life force she could from her surroundings. She must've held on to the very end till it was just too much for her body to bare.

It just wasn't enough.

"E-every time I close my eyes that's all I see. And I- I can't get her eyes out of my head. They- they were just open and staring and I can't see anything else." How could she forget it? She didn't deserve to. She should be reminded ever second of just how much a failure she was. 

Seras cut off when she felt her throat tighten and her eyes dampen a bit. She was about to lose control, her voice cracking all over the place. She refused to let anything out though and she took a deep breath.