Chapter Forty-eight

Chapter Forty-eight-

"Is she willing to speak?"

A sigh. "I- I. . . Would you like to stay for coming all this way?"

That meant no. She wasn't willing to speak.

Through the floorboards, she was easily able to hear the conversation going on downstairs. The uncomfortable shuffling of Elvina's feet and the curious but aggravated voice of Eaton.

"Let me see her." It was a demand and if Seras cared enough she would've rolled her eyes. Of course Elvina would say nothing though and it wasn't long before she heard the office door open behind her.

She didn't care. She didn't even look at him. She just wanted him to leave.

"I came by to see how you were doing, Seras."

Sure he was. The last she had seen of him was when he went to pay respects to Aldana and that hadn't even been during her burial. It was as if he disappeared after her death and when he saw them again, he arrived claiming he heard about an ambush on a wanted Halfling and wanted to check in to clarify it hadn't been one of them.

How surprised he was and it almost had Seras strangling him. At the time she had demanded to know where he had been. Aldana had surely followed Eaton so it was impossible in her mind that he had no idea what happened.

He claimed that word got out though and there had been a tip off from a source so he pulled back. Aldana not knowing this ended up taking the brunt of it.

It sickened Seras. Those Purebloods her sister had defended didn't deserve her. Those fools killed the very one that went to stop all of this.

On top of that, they weren't able to have the type of service that the girl deserved and it boiled her blood just thinking about it. Not to mention the guilt it brought. It angered her that their world just kept turning for them. Nothing stopped. For all these Creatures, Aldana was merely a spec in the scheme of things.

No one would remember her. No one would praise her. No one cared.

And she hated herself for that.

So she stopped her life and made it revolve around Aldana. That's all she did nonstop was run through her memories of Aldana. She didn't care to do anything else. She didn't eat for the first few days afterwards but when she saw it only scared Elvina, she forced herself to at least do that.

But she didn't talk anymore and she didn't leave this house. She didn't do anything. Why should she? Aldana wouldn't get to do anything ever again either. It's what Seras deserved. It was her punishment.

Now all she could do was try to focus on the last family she had left but that was hard. Elvina had matured a lot after Aldana's passing. She wasn't the same girl she was beforehand but amazingly enough, she was still as Light as anything.

The girl never once complained when she took care of Seras. She brought her meals and reminded her to eat and bathe. Even when she got no response from her older sister, she always went into that office Seras had shut herself in and would sit with her.